Why did you start crocheting?

Exactly! The sense of accomplishment is unlike any other!

8 Likes

I wanted something to do, I always did crafty stuff and wanted something new. I didnā€™t have anyone to teach me, but YouTube helped me so much when I was learning. Itā€™s been over a decade at this point :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I started last summer. I was under a lot of stress at this moment, with some covid related issues in school, but also at work, and was kinda losing my creative side because iā€™m currently into computer science. And I saw a girl that I was following on youtube, who was doing some clothes (not with crochet) but it was unusual I mean, sheā€™s more like a japan langage oriented youtube account. And at this moment I tought and what about me ? And I just bought some hooks, and find very old yarn at home lol and I started like that, with youtube videos, making cute plushies <3 and it really help me with my stress issue, but also to be more happy because I was into creation again

11 Likes

[quote=ā€œsummerbugcrafts, post:15, topic:63091, full:trueā€]
I honestly think my dad would cry if I did :sob:

Well, it made me cryā€¦:pleading_face:

7 Likes

Iā€™m immunocompromised and found crocheting a really fun hobby while I still have to stay home, plus itā€™s a super easy low energy activity for me which is nice. I also got the idea to start crocheting when I found charliseyscrochetcloset on Instagram in November 2021 and itā€™s awesome to see someone else chronically ill and crocheting (plus I already randomly had a hook and skein of yarn for some reason so that helped). Iā€™m reading past comments on this thread and itā€™s really cool to hear all of your unique stories on how you all started, and Iā€™m so happy there is a community of crocheters on here!

11 Likes

Is that pun intended :thinking:

5 Likes

Aw Iā€™m so sorry :sob:

7 Likes

I wanted to crochet lace and give the middle finger to idea thats itā€™s only something old ladies do (Iā€™m a trans man in my late 20s so itā€™s kind of a dysphoria beating thing)

11 Likes

i started crocheting because my grandmother introduced it to me. at first i found it boring but after a few weeks, i happen to chance upon a youtube tutorial of a flower coaster on my recommended and i really enjoyed making it so i continued to find other patterns to make!

8 Likes

I needed a way to help relax while also being productive at college. I got some hooks, and pulled up YouTube for help!

10 Likes

Amazing, inspirational stories. Made my day!

9 Likes

I love plushies and wanted to make my own, also needed a new hobby which I didnā€™t have to focus on too intently, as depression made it hard to focus on my other hobbies (such as playing video games). Iā€™ve loved it ever since!

10 Likes

I started crocheting because my mom taught me on a road trip when I was 11. I taught myself from there.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s super nice of you!

7 Likes

Iā€™m happy that you got out of there.
Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of!

9 Likes

Well done you are brave and strong.
You have nothing to be ashamed of.

9 Likes

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Thank you so much :sob::heart:

7 Likes

I was quite lonely during lockdown and would spend most of my time on tiktok instead of studying :sob: :sob::. One day I saw people making that cardigan Harry Styles wore and naively thought ā€œI could makeā€ after I remembered I had been gifted some crochet hooks a few years ago. Found a pattern on youtube and the rest is history.

7 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure harry styles made a lot of people start crocheting :joy:

5 Likes