Why Do You Crochet/Knit?

Crafting, in general, is a great way to pass the time, relieve stress, stay busy, and even make money. Personally, I crochet to help me deal with PTSD and Emotional “baggage” from multiple combat deployments. Why do you crochet/knit?

25 Likes

I learned to knit when my first child was born because I wanted to make him something. My mom wanted to teach me when I was younger but I wasn’t interested. But I’m so glad that I let her teach me, I lost her to cancer and knitting is a way I feel connected to her. It’s also a way to feel peace over stress. We all have stress and/or anxiety in various degrees, some suffer from it in greater degrees (I’m sorry for your greater degrees, and as an Air Force brat, I thank you for your service.) We all need things to do that pacify stress and anxiety to help us get by. I feel hand crafts are a blessing for us, I glad you found crochet.

7 Likes

Wow. That is very inspiring and I completely agree with you.

5 Likes

I first started to test out a written article my Mum had written for beginners - to teach them Tunisian crochet. Well it proved her instructions are good as I was able to do it, having never touched a crochet hook before.
The rest is history. I’m obsessed. I just love doing it. I love designing, I love wearing what I make and coming up with new ideas.
It’s also very therapeutic as long as I don’t put pressure on myself to pump out more designs. I only design when I’m in the mood for it, which these days is all the time. I’d rather do that than my day job hahaha

7 Likes

That’s amazing Abbey!

4 Likes

I knit and crochet to help me with stress and anxiety. Also it helps me to be creative and lets my artistic skills go wild. Also, it gives me self confidence.

6 Likes

Absolutely! It’s a wonder skill to have!

5 Likes

Hiya
I find it very relaxing, it’s a good distraction, but also good to do while watching cheesy movies :slight_smile: I love making things for family /friends. I wish I had more time to do it, my sister and I are always talking crochet and looking for new projects. Bearly a day goes by we don’t mention it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
The finished item is so satisfying
I recently crocheted a rather large Christmas tree, that took me a few months, its the longest project I’d ever done. So I’m very proud of it, :cheese: :joy:

7 Likes

That’s incredible!

4 Likes

That’s amazing I would love to see it! You and I were cut from the same cloth!

4 Likes

I’d love to take credit for the pattern, alas I’m not there yet, but the tree and few other projects have spurred me to want to try my luck at making my own patterns. So I’ve started the brainstorming :blush:

4 Likes

Apologies for the bad lighting, but you get the idea hopefully :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14 Likes

I crochet to relax from this COVID19, it’s awesome and I’m making things for my family

6 Likes

I started crocheting when saw a pattern by a girl on TikTok! That was a baguette bag
I had some basic skills because about 6 or 7 years ago I used to do things from rainbow loom

And right now the main thing that inspires me is the magic of creation of new things. It just seems almost unbelievable to me that I can make my own clothes pieces!

Sorry if my answer could be difficult to read, English is not my first language

7 Likes

It’s not difficult at all. And that’s really cool!
What was the most recent thing you made?

Welcome to Ribblr Xenia! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

That’s super nice! What have you made so far?

4 Likes

Right now I’m working on a strawberry top (took inspiration from the one that the girl on the right is wearing)
Almost finished it, I guess it’ll be ready in couple days (right now I can’t stop crocheting, so I’m doing that for the whole day!)

Thank you!

9 Likes

I think your English is fine, I have so much respect for people who can speak more than one language!!

4 Likes

That’s really cute!

I can relate!

5 Likes

That’s one of the things I love most about crochet. The ability to think of something in my mind and then use my hands to bring that to life!

5 Likes