Why Do You Crochet/Knit?

I love making blankets for my family, pretty much everyone has something hand made!

2 Likes

That is CUTE!!!

3 Likes

I started crocheting two years ago when I badly broke my ankle. I went out to the beauticians to have my eyebrows done and wound up i. Hospital with pins and plates. Being stuck watching tv all day wasn’t my future and my daughter bought me some wool and I had a couple of hooks from my grandmother. YouTube videos were my saviour as I could wind them and stop when I needed. Several blankets later my most recent project is a rainbow lace crochet blanket for my new grandchild due in April.

it’s a great stress reliever a d I would recommend!

10 Likes

The blanket looks lovely! :+1:!
Reminds me of a lacepin shawl I made for my friend for her wedding, (not rainbow colours obv)

I do wonder tho
How do you go from eyebrow plucking to breaking an ankle!? What were they using on you… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

2 Likes

I started out of boredom from being bed bound for 7 months, then it became so relaxing and comforting that I could not stop. I always have a hook in my hand. So I guess I’m a happy hooker :laughing::slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s beautiful!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Gorgeous!!!

2 Likes

I stepped out their front door down about 8” dislocated my ankle to a lovely 90 degrees looking rather strange! Six months before I could walk again. Crochet is my therapy! :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I know exactly what you mean. It’s definitely therapy. At the moment we’re waiting to move house and I’m crafting all the time to keep me sane. It’s been 8 months so far…:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I crochet because it relaxes me and helps with my anxiety. Also a couple things are one I make a few extra dollars when a sell something I made. The other is seeing the joy in a persons face when I gave them something I made as a gift.

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

I crochet to take my mind off things. I am a 3rd year nursing student and to calm my brain I crochet. I love making things with my hands and I am sort of a perfectionist so watching it come together is very satisfying to me. Sometimes it is all I do in a day. I also love giving and so most of what I make I give away to family and friends.

3 Likes

I crochet and knit, and while I do it mostly for fun, both crafts are also marvelous stims for my ASD/ADD.
Knitting has a very satisfying sound to me, especially when I’m using metal needles, although I also love the sound of bamboo needles.
Crochet on the other hand is a good visual stim, because most (and I do mean most, like 99%) of my crocheting is amigurumi with bright colours.
It’s a pretty socially acceptable stim, too. I’m a bit self-conscious about my stims because people will look weird, but knitting or crocheting in public is apparently fine. As such, I take my socks-in-progress nearly everywhere and always have a pair going.

1 Like

It is very rewarding! Welcome to Ribblr! @Oliviajbarber

That’s fantastic!

1 Like

Adorable! Great job!!!

1 Like

I crochet to help relieve my anxiety! I also do it bc my parents are always so proud of me for it! If your a teenager you know if your parents are proud of something you do don’t stop! LOL

2 Likes

I didnt really have a choice lol i learnd at a adoption church senter

1 Like

I started knitting my junior year of high school. I was in a really dark place and saw a childhood friend knitting in History class. I asked him how he learned to do it and he had said that he taught himself. I asked him if he could teach me and he said yes, as long as I bought some needles and yarn. And then I just kept knitting from there. I gave that a break at one point in my 20s and decided to try and teach myself to crochet. And I’ve been crocheting for the past 9 years. I do it to relax, to unwind, and to just let things that are bothering me in the world go. It’s a great distraction and something I can feel proud of myself for as my projects unfold. And I’m physically disabled and it’s something I can do sitting in bed on my bad days. So, it’s really been a great hobby for me.

2 Likes

At first I started crocheting for some extra money (haven’t made any yet) and then I started rocketing for fun… and now I have no motivation 🥲

2 Likes