why is my crochet shedding?

i have recently started making a beanie for myself and i can’t help but notice how scratchy it is and shedded? i haven’t this in other peoples crochet so i am confused. please help!!!

5 Likes

It has to be the yarn you’re using. Or if used before, it’s a bad batch.

5 Likes

is it fixable? it’s just the cheap wool you can buy anywere so i did expect it to be kinda bad, but i also feel like a lot of people use it? do you have yarn brand recommendations?

6 Likes

What does the shedding look like. Cuz some wool can be pretty fuzzy.
But all I have is Superwash Wool, which doesn’t shed.
Perhaps other wool users can give some feedback.

4 Likes

there’s a photo on the post of the side view of the shed, it feels scratchy to touch

5 Likes

Is it acrylic? Or is it real wool?

4 Likes

Acrylic does that if it is not good quality/a bad batch!

4 Likes

you think if i wash the final crochet it will help a little?

5 Likes

acrylic, brand hagama

5 Likes

@webstan
You can salvage what you have of that project with washing it in cold water( I put mine in lingerie bag in washing machine) , and let it air dry under a towel and heavy book (One way to block your project :wink:). See if that helps with the fuzziness.

Also, you’ll see how much it actually sheds. Which stinks if it does but would help you make a decision on what to do with the rest of that yarn you may have.

Also, anyone who has been crocheting for awhile have many projects that they’ve abandoned, gave away, or ripped apart, or thrown away. It’s part of the learning process.

6 Likes

yeah thanks, i’m on row 27 what a nightmare to have to restart if washing dosnt work​:sob:

4 Likes

Oh! It happens!!

3 Likes

That should work :relaxed:

3 Likes

Oof. This sucks. :frowning: Unfortunately, some acrylic blends can do this. I trust Loops & Threads Impeccable and Bernat Premium.

5 Likes