World Diabetes Day Nov 14

360_F_296666814_H834D7msDMxHpYvS5pRwrsRCNZGobO6i
Today is World Diabetes Day!
I’m not posting this to celebrate diabetes, but bring awareness and to celebrate my son (who was diagnosed with Type 1, at 2.5 years old, 9.5 years ago) and every other person who fights this fight, every day, every hour, every minute. With all the finger pokes, all the insulin draws, all the injections, all the carb counts, you’re all warriors! And you hold a special place in my heart!

14 Likes

One of my close friends’ sister has severe type 1 diabetes, and my mom’s friend has type 2. I enjoy cooking and baking a lot, so one of my hobbies is to modify recipes to use diabetes-friendly ingredients so that I can share with them! When I first started doing research about it, I was overwhelmed upon realizing just how MUCH people with diabetes have to put up with, and all the foods they have to avoid or ban. I knew it was a serious thing, but I hadn’t realized how demanding it could be.
I have nothing but respect for diabetic people and everyone supporting them. Love to you and your son :two_hearts:

7 Likes

Thank you so much​:heart::heart: It’s so sweet of you to be supportive and to try to adjust something you love for someone you love! :heart: A lot of people don’t understand, and judge. It’s nice to see when people care so much!

6 Likes

I myself have IBS and very random digestion and food tolerances, so I can’t eat a lot of things and it can vary from day to day. So I’m very familiar with the topic of food issues and not being able to eat something unless it’s prepared a certain way or has ingredients substituted.
I can make food, I love doing so and even more so, I love sharing. The way I see it, if I can help someone and make them a bit happy, it’ll be a huge win. :blush: I was also very frustrated to see the amount of “diabetes friendly” foods in the stores that would actually not be suitable for someone with diabetes. And I find it unfair because it’s not something you can mess with. So I’m happy to do what I can and give what support and love I have to offer. :pray::two_hearts:

7 Likes

You should write a recipe book. A real book by a real person!

6 Likes

Welcome to the Ribblr community! @NelBun

6 Likes

Thank you! :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing and spreading awareness and love! :relaxed:

5 Likes

Thanks for allowing it! :hugs::heart:

4 Likes

:blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

4 Likes

One of my best friends has type 1 and its always so cool to watch her keep everything under control. I have nothing but respect to anyone who has diabetes. I cant imangine having to poke myself everyday.

4 Likes

(Yes this is months later than your post)

I have had type one for seven years. It’s hard, but todays technology helps so much. I now have an insulin pump and a Dexcom, which are big helpers for everyday life. I live normally and am very happy!

2 Likes