Would this work?

I got this grid that is meant for knitting, but I was wondering if it would work with crochet! FREE Caterpillar Grid: Knitting pattern | Ribblr

7 Likes

I don’t know if it would tbh. I’ve noticed many differences in crochet vs knitting and am not sure how the pattern would be effected. You definitely should give it a go and show us it if worked out thought! :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

I don’t knit, but I would think it would be the same. I would try sc across from the bottom up for your first test.

5 Likes

might work with Tunisian crochet. the stitches made between reg crochet and knitting are quite different. but where there’s a will there’s a way ;).

5 Likes

Knit stitches are wider than they are tall, so it might end up looking different. I know very little about crochet. Are there stitches that are wider than they are tall? If not, your caterpillar will not end up looking quite the same.

Knit charts are based on squares but the actual stitches are not squares but little rectangles that are wider than they are tall. So a colour chart for a circle, for instance, would look like an oval but would be a circle on your knitted item. “0” on a chart, “o” in your knitting. I hope that helps. :blush:

4 Likes

To be honest I’m a little lost :joy:

3 Likes

Here’s a picture of a heart chart for knitting. It looks like you should get a heart that is about as wide as it is tall, right?

The chart is all squares but knit stitches are not squares, they’re wider than they are tall so that means that the heart, when knit, will be wider than it is tall because of the shape of each knit stitch.
Check out the look of the heart knit up.

4 Likes

Oooooh! So as much as people try to make the two crafts similar they are not!

4 Likes

There are websites that I have used to create graph paper for knitting based on the gauge of my work. I am sure they can be used for crochet as well. You would just need to do a swatch, get your number of stitches and rows per 4 inches, enter those numbers into the website and create and print the graph paper. I always forget the website I use - but if you google ABCs of knitting actual size graph paper it should come up.

4 Likes