Wrong or just different?

I suppose, if you break it down,…
When I get to the end of a row on a smaller item or lace, I don’t turn my work. I just knit back in the opposite direction. When I do this, I’m using my right hand still and it mimics continental if you flipped the image.
The part that I find cumbersome in continental is that you are trying to put yarn onto the right needle but because it’s in your left hand it naturally pulls towards the end of the needle you are trying to put it on. But while holding it in your right hand, it pulls it onto the needle.,so it works with you. Depending on how you are most comfortable holding your needles and winding your yarn onto the needles, this difference in which hand you hold the yarn could make knitting an extremely frustrating process. I know it’s how you hold it for crochet and makes the initial transition easier, but knitting needles don’t have a hook on the end to counteract this pull.
I hear that continental is superior for some reason or another, and that is simply not true. And there is also the difference in eastern and western, even if you do continental
If you are having a problem in your knitting, the solution will probably not be “change to continental”.
It will require you to be able to identify which way your stitches sit on your needle and what the finished effect is supposed to be and how to achieve it, because directional terms like psso or k2t will not be correct if your knitting differs from the person that wrote the pattern. Knowing that it’s a right/left leaning decrease is far more helpful. There is nothing wrong with this, you just have to be aware of it so you can adjust it to match your style of knitting.
So if your work does not look like the picture, remember that you are not knitting wrong, just different and will need to adjust the pattern, not yourself.

6 Likes