Yarn art gatekeepers

Just be yourself. What does one supervisor know?

NOTHING!

3 Likes

Don’t listen to supervisors… REBEL! :rofl:

3 Likes

that has nver happened to me but i wish that small yarn stores woudnt keep yarn from crocheters and say ‘oh, this yarn is for knitting, not crochet.’
Thankfully i can knit so if i buy yarn from a place like that i would use it for both knitting and crochet bc yarn is not only for knitting

3 Likes

While I agree, fudge off I’ll buy what I want - but I was once gifted some yarn I just can not crochet with. I tried a few times and just gave up.

It’s packed in a plastic bin so high I can’t even get it down to get a proper picture. But that stuff is a nightmare to try to crochet. I would warm anyone looking at it and say it’s for knitting. :laughing:

4 Likes

ooh i uave a yarn similar to that and it is also mohair

3 Likes

Ohh the sparkles!

3 Likes

It’s very sparkly, and a neat color but the texture isn’t great, but it’s a total mess to work with. I have 7 skeins of it. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Yes, mohair is very slippery. Might try a hook with more grab, say a crappy bamboo hook? :wink:

3 Likes

The issue I had was a combination of the yarn being slippy but it’s also got like eyelashing on it. And the yarn itself is a strand of sparkly blue, and a strand of orange with a strand of this eyelashing VERY loosely wound together. So trying to keep track of the stitches was a huge pain. Super easy to lose them in all the sparkles and fuzz, just loose strings everywhere.

4 Likes

I hear you. I haven’t felt that way in my LYS in Bedford, TX. Kris is so welcoming to all fiber artists and @LoneStarYarn has been such a wonderful experience!!

I think you may find a lot of crocheters have felt or experienced what you have. I recall a recent post from Mikey from The Crochet Crowd expressing his frustrations regarding yarn snobbery within the crochet community.

5 Likes

I like Mikey! So real and so funny!

4 Likes

yarn snobbery shouldnt exist

3 Likes

I feel for you. going through something like that can ruin your experience with your relationship with people you are seeking help from and wonder if the whole community is all like that…

I had a bunch of people laugh and made fun of me on Ravelry about an idea, and I can say that I got bullied out of using the website. It was traumatizing. I was going through a mental health crisis, and receiving negative feedback on the website was making me too unwell. I can say I am still looking for the right community that don’t do this, but I believe it’s usually people from a different time who are yarn snobs who want to feel important…

I don’t use Ravelry anymore because my experience was completely ruined by it. It still makes me emotional to this day. I’m just sensitive because I am bipolar, it comes with its own issues, but I have never been ridiculed by hundreds of people before so that was hard on me. It scared me out of my love for knitting too.

Luckily I am getting back into knitting again after a few years and hope to be able to knit more complicated stuff like sweaters and gloves.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s so much gatekeeping as it is less popular, but I only crochet too, but I don’t see hardly any CALs, and I have gone deep diving online for some! And the one’s I do find are not that appealing to me. Yet, I find SO MANY different KALs for so many different projects!

1 Like