yarn buying

I just went yarn shopping today! I usually buy yarn that strikes my interest and then create projects/patterns out of the yarn. Do you buy first or design first???

8 Likes

I usually buy first. #sales
I have too much yarn the way it is and I have plans for most of it!

7 Likes

Design first. I used to have limited space so I could only buy enough yarn for what I was doing at the time. It’s become habit. I feel fortunate enough to have a large crafting space now, but buying only for specific projects is just too ingrained for me to randomly impulse buy. But I do have an impressive collection of scrap yarn/remnant skeins/extra skeins after the approximately million projects I’ve done over the last nearly two decades.

7 Likes

I have a project in mind first, then by yarn required. I don’t like a big stash of yarn around.

7 Likes

I don’t like a big stash, I usually have a small collection of basic colors in acrylic for pattern testing and baskets of left overs. If a new color jumps into my cart of its own accord and begs to go home with me, I’ll get enough to make a standard sweater so it won’t be lonely. Otherwise, I generally buy according
to what I’m about to make.
Sock yarn on the other hand… That’s like collecting jewelry or chickens, I have one basket for sock yarn that I’m not allowed to buy more than will fit in that basket.

7 Likes

When I first started this venture 6 years ago I went nuts over yarn period…now I go with what yarn I love the look and feel of and do try to design with that yarn asap so I don’t get over loaded with yarn…but I still have TONS! :rofl:

5 Likes

YEP got tons of scrap yarn balls myself :rofl:

5 Likes

I wish I had your control some days :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Oh a fellow sock maker! I have 3 big totes full of sock yarn too :rofl:

5 Likes

I buy first but then I have too much yarn that I have no idea what to do with and not enough yarn I need to make the projects I want to make :woozy_face:

5 Likes

I look at it like grocery shopping. I know if I’m going to use that ingredient or not so I pick it up if it’s on sale and choose from my recipes when I get home.

6 Likes

psst could I interest you in some sock patterns?
Lol

6 Likes

Been there done that :rofl:

5 Likes