Yarn Clarity

Not sure if this is something in the works but as a non-designer, Iā€™ve noticed that when looking at pattern descriptions I have a harder time determining yarn weight and attributes. Seems each designer has their own way of entering suggested yarn and sometimes itā€™s not super clear to me as it isnā€™t standardized. Any chance this is a future update? Alternatively, Am I missing something?

7 Likes

Hi Amanda and welcome to Ribblr!
Thatā€™s useful feedback - thank you! We do have plans to improve the materials further in the future. In the meantime, it might be easier to use the ā€˜look insideā€™ feature to look inside the pattern and check out the full materials list!

3 Likes

Yes I agree with this. I would really like to have a specific box to say what the yarn weight is. Likewise, hooks, needles etc. This is one feature of Rav that Iā€™m quite addicted to - I think many others are as well.
I know this goes against the grain of the flexibility of Ribblr but I do think it assists a great deal when people are searching for patterns. If that was standardised, it would mean someone could search for patterns in a particular yarn weight.
In saying that, I like that I can have free text to put more information about the yarn.

9 Likes

Just another thoughtā€¦ You know the website Yarn Sub? That has to be the BEST resource for yarn on the internet. I wonder if you (Ribblr) could link in with that website somehow? I believe itā€™s run by one person (Iā€™ve found her on IG) - I wonder if itā€™s worth a chat with her?
I love how you can search by a specific yarn and get all the good alternatives.

8 Likes

Hi Abbey!
Thanks for the feedback, and suggestions!
The Materials page is something we are working on, and it can be a bit hard to find the balance, so your feedback is really valuable!

Lir :purple_heart:

1 Like

Hey there, Iā€™m a technical editor for crochet (and sometimes knit) designers. I always suggest designers list the brand name of the yarn, weight classification, %fiber content, then the yds/m per gram/oz as it is listen on the label. All of that information can help users get the most accurate substitution possible.

6 Likes

Hi Emily and welcome to Ribblr! :purple_heart:
We agree! We always recommend to add as much information as possible about yarn in the materials page while adding a new pattern.
One of the great things about Ribblr ePattern is that designers can edit and add more details about their pattern at any time. It takes just a few seconds and is updated automatically!

3 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like