Yarn Subs

I’m wanting to make a summer bralette top. I have some Lily sugar and Cream yarn. Is this a bad yarn for clothing? I know its usually for dishcloths but didn’t know if it would be okay for clothing as well. …If not any recommendations on a cotton worsted yarn?

7 Likes

I’m curious about this too, my opinion about this yarn is that it’s sort of scratchy. However, I do have sensitive skin :pensive: so I wonder what cotton yarn everyone else uses for their clothing items

6 Likes

I’ve seen people use it for tops, I would do some research though. :blush:

4 Likes

What I found was that there wasn’t a whole lot of bounce back, which would make sense because its 100% cotton. But Idk if bamboo mix or nylon mix would help that either. A lot of the compliant on it were because it was cotton.

5 Likes

Cotton is great for making summer tops, bralettes, crop tops, or anything that need some structure. 100% cotton yarn doesn’t usually have a lot of “drape” to it. That’s why I love using it for amigurumi because it holds its shape so nicely. :star_struck:

As someone who has made tops with these yarns, it isn’t as rough on the skin as you would think when wearing it and not even that scratchy, but if you have super sensitive skin then I wouldn’t recommend it.

If you do go ahead with it, make sure you buy all the skeins you need from the same dye lot! I made a crop top with Bernat Handicrafter Cotton and the skeins were from two different dye lots and there was a visible difference in the hues. :sweat_smile:

If you use Lily Sugar N’ Cream or Bernat Handicrafter Cotton, the colors do have a tendency to fade with machine washing really quickly as well.

I haven’t personally worked with this yarn yet, but Lion Brand has a line called Pima Cotton. From the reviews, it looks like it is quite soft and has more drape than other 100% cotton yarn. I just wish Lion Brand had larger color palettes. Its kinda why I don’t order from them more often. :pensive:

11 Likes

Oh this is so helpful!!! I got a white so fading shouldn’t be too much of an issue. I have a lot of summer tops I want to make so I will have to check these other brands out too.

6 Likes

Best of luck! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Two softer options in worsted cotton are Dishie from WeCrochet (I love it!) and I Love This Cotton from Hobby Lobby. Or as an alternative, I made a tank top with Lion Brand Comfy Cotton Blend and it was super soft and pliable. The pattern is the Juliette Tank by Ruby Webbs Crochet.

7 Likes

So you made garments out of dishes? I was looking at that earlier.

5 Likes

I have made one. It is soft & pliable rather than coarse so I don’t know if it would be as good for garments that need to have a more firm construction if that makes sense. Like they need to keep their shape more independently.

5 Likes