Yarn types

Hello people!

I’m quite new in crocheting, started like 2 months ago and I’m not exactly sure about the types of yarns. For example I love chenille yarn for making plushies but I would like to make them smaller so which yarn should I buy to make them look the same but smaller? In shops I see terms like bulky, super bulky etc but from the picture everything looks the same, and on the description there is minimum info.
I would be glad if someone teach me the way of yarn :smile: i can read articles so if you have any useful links you can share. Thank you!

6 Likes

Hi! Do you know the brand of yarn you’re using atm? You can get thinner chenille yarns. I have a few recs if you want?

4 Likes

Well I’m using some of this yarn from my local store:

And recently i ordered Himalayan Dolphin Baby but I don’t know if they have thinner yarn. You can share your recommendation I will gladly look at them :smile:

4 Likes

Ok nice. So the best one is definitely Bernat baby velvet, which is quite a bit thinner than normal chenille yarn (Aran weight compared to super bulky) if your in the US then it’s widely available from plenty of places, and if you’re somewhere else, wool warehouse ships worldwide. Most yarns that are for baby’s are generally thinner. Hth!

5 Likes

Oh and himalaya dolphin fine is also a good option

5 Likes

Okay, I think I understand now it a little better and I found both of these. Thank you for your help! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

No problem :smiling_face::smiling_face:

4 Likes

Best Yarn for Amigurumi: A Comprehensive Guide for Crocheters - Sarah Maker.

6 Likes

When picking yarn I look at the hook size recommendations. If it’s amigurumi that you are making then hook size can go up or down.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this was part of your question, but this chart helped me figure out yarn sizes when I first started :]

5 Likes

I love big twist for the average yarn, but for the chunky yarn (I like to make for plushies) I use Bernet blanket most often (or just whatever one is cheaper)