yarn!

heyy, i’ve started crocheting recently and i was wondering, do u guys have any recommendations for the best places to get yarn? people have been saying like michaels and like dollar tree but i’m not sure.

7 Likes

you should go to joanns

7 Likes

ok thank you! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Depends on what you want and what you are making.
Hobby lobby has nice yarn, but only their exclusive brands and it can get pricy if you want something besides the “I love this” line. michaels carries a huge selection of common brands (bernat, caron, Patons) and it’s always on sale, the joanns around here do not carry much yarn at all, neither does Walmart. If you want to buy online, I find that knit picks is a good balance of quality and price for colors you can’t find elsewhere

8 Likes

Dollar Tree has cheap chenille that I use for practice on a new pattern. $1.25 a small skein.
Joanns is my favorite big box store, always something on sale or a coupon to be used. For example, 40-50% off regular price item ( one item)
20% off sale items ( as much as you want).
Michaels, at least by me, never has a sale. But only place to get Caron Cotton Cakes which I love.
Hobby Lobby appears to carry only their own line of yarn and I see the brand name yarn dwindling. They have a 30% off sale on yarn on a rotating basis, I think it’s every 4 weeks.
My favorite online yarn company is Premiers, the have a clearance section, and weekly deals. Plus, they carry Universal Yarn which is my favorite. Their chenille yarn is the least expensive by yard.
Other online company I like is Hobium. They carry ALL kinds of yarn, including Himalayan Dolphin and a cotton/microfiber blend that I love-Diamond. It’s soft. Better than Red Heart per softness and value.

3 Likes

I mainly use acrylic yarn and I go to Micheals, I love the yarnspirations brand.

5 Likes

If I lived in the US I’d be shopping at hobby lobby, Joanns and micheals. I’ve also recommend hobbii but shipping might be pricey

5 Likes

I get my yarn either from joanns or dollar tree.

5 Likes

thanks everyone for all the recommendations! :smiley:

4 Likes

Dollar Tree and Hobby Lobby are great places to get yarn!

6 Likes

Walmart has yarn for cheap!!

5 Likes

I’d check out the ones listed as I’ve went to the stores listed in different states and have had widely different experiences. Down in Miami I absolutely love Michael’s as I almost always find tons of yarn on clearance (large lion brand roving yarn for $3 vs $12, and anniversary cakes for $13 vs $40) the Joanns down here are ok but back home in KY and over in TN I’ve had way better experiences with Joanns and not finding much of anything at Michaels. I highly suggest getting both of their apps and signing up as they send out coupons or have them on the app.

5 Likes

Hey @WhiteCoatMermaid

4 Likes

Hobby lobby! At hobby lobby I like getting the yarn bee adore a ball. There is also a website called premier yarns and I like getting their premier basix yarn and their parfait chunky yarn.

6 Likes

Hobby lobby is my fav

6 Likes

You can also try thrift stores! Sometimes people drop off inherited yarn stashes. I’ve also heard of crafters who buy sweaters of afghans from thrift shops, unravel the yarn, and make something new. That might be a lot of trouble, but it’s a great way to recycle!

6 Likes

Im in the US, I’ve veen getting mine from walmart, michaels, or joanns

4 Likes

Im not sure if you’re looking for a specific type of yarn, but I personally love the Bernat Blanket chunky yarn! You can get it at walmart or hobby lobby, but i’ve found that with the stores in my area, Walmart is the cheaper choice (by a dollar or two), and has a larger variety of that brand. I hope this helps! Have a nice day!

4 Likes

Hobby Lobby has their yarns on sale every other week for 30% off! That’s wen I go ;).

4 Likes

I’d definitely say Joann’s, Walmart, and any Indie yarn stores/shops nearby! It’s always a wonder to go into a small business like that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes