A huge change 🫢

I will be moving to Japan all the way from TX in just a few months . I don’t really know what to think :sob: I have never been overseas before, so I’m a little overwhelmed! Has anybody been there
Before? If so can you tell me what to expect :grin:

12 Likes

How exiting!
Haven’t been in Japan, only in Korea for over a year.
Different culture, so no help from me :woman_shrugging:t2::two_hearts:

7 Likes

The home of amigurumi! That would be my dream… however that’s a hugeee change for you. I don’t have any advice for you regarding the move but I wish you well

5 Likes

I don’t have any advice for Japan specifically, but before I moved to Hawaii I spent time watching a lot of Youtubers who resided in the area I was going to be moving so I could get a feel for it. I also kept an eye on channels about people moving to new cities/countries alone, they vlog and document a lot of their experiences and for me and it gave me a lot of comfort seeing others do what I wanted and was going to be doing.(i.e traveling alone) It kind of gave me an idea of what to expect. So maybe do some research on where you’re going to be, and get an idea of your new home! I hope this helps! I believe Pewdiepie is currently living in Japan and has been doing some Japan Vlogs! That’s the only one I know of off the top of my head at the moment.

7 Likes

Oh wow! Good luck :relaxed:

5 Likes

Thank you!

6 Likes

Yes! I guess it snows a ton there which I’m not used to :cold_face:

5 Likes

I haven’t been to Korea, but my parents have!

7 Likes

Thank you! It is a 14 hr flight to get there :grimacing:

5 Likes

I’d go back in a heartbeat, we were south and rather rural, loved it.

Will you completely move there, or more temporary?

6 Likes

It is a temporary thing :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

That’s the best way to be able to enjoy the experience :two_hearts:

6 Likes

What an amazing opportunity! Soak it all in while you’re there.

6 Likes

Thank you! My mom already found a yarn store for me to check out when we get there!

7 Likes

Follow crochet lady called signoni macaroni- she just moved to Japan about a month ago and has some tips.

7 Likes

Thank you so much!

5 Likes

Which platform is she on? YouTube? Instagram?

5 Likes

Both. But I found her on IG. I subscribe to her newsletter.

5 Likes

my dad was in the Air Force and we lived there for 1 & 1/2 years. I was much younger and I’m sure it’s changed, but they are all about politeness and cleanliness. The older people are more likely to still have some of the older traditions, but I think now the younger people are more like our youth than the more traditional older Japanese people. I was in 5th and 6th grade and lived on base in one area and off base in another. I loved the Genza and dried calamari (looked like beef jerky) has a sweet taste to it, it’s dried squid. I also like Mochi, which is a sweet rice cake (not like the popcorn kind things we have here lol). They are like a sticky rice made into a disk, they have them for New Years. They don’t wear their shoes in their house, or at least they didn’t when I was there, it wasn’t polite. Some houses had tatami floor covering, it’s like a woven straw mat kinda like we cover our floor with a carpet, and they damage easily with our shoes on. might not be helpful to you, but great memories for me.

5 Likes

ive heard of sigoni macaroni.

4 Likes