A Reverse Single Crochet (sc)

I’ve run across a stitch I was not familiar with while working the bodice of the Autumn Harvest Angel. Fortunately within the directions of the pattern were stitch explanations. A Reverse Single crochet, hmm? This stitch is worked from the left to right (backwards) than the usual row which of course is worked right to left. It is rather at first an uncomfortable stitch in that I’m not accustom to working in that direction. It makes a nice finish almost to me braid like. Fortunately I didn’t have alot of stitches to do. Well then, this old dog learned a new trick. :yarn Any of you ever run across this stitch in patterns you’ve worked on. Because this is a pattern from 1998, it is just possible it is a stitch from that time which may not have been new to those crocheters at that time. Sometimes that is the nugett or jewel when working older patterns, you learn and your grow.
The Joy is in the making.

5 Likes

I believe what you were doing is now called a crab stitch. YouTube it. Let me know

3 Likes

You are correct thank you! I suspected it might be particular to that time period. Crab stitch, sums it up. :yarn:

4 Likes

I’ve definitely come across this stitch in patterns, and recent patterns too! It’s called a couple of different things, such a crab stitch and reverse single crochet.

2 Likes

I love using the reverse single crochet (US terminology) or crab stitch. I make a lot of bears :bear: for charity (Mother Bear Project) and often use this stitch on the hem of the skirts I add to some bears. It’s a nice finish that has a corded look.

4 Likes

It’s also called the crab stitch

3 Likes

Agreed, I like to use it as a last row edging on some pieces. (Even ones that don’t call for it in the pattern​:grin:)

4 Likes

I love to use this stitch as the edging on hat brims! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Yes I said braid, but cord is more like it. It is a pretty finishing stitch.

4 Likes