About the ND Crafters space

Hey I wanted to start a wee corner of the Ribblr app for NeuroDiverse crafters and designers.
This space is for anyone who feel they are neurodiverse, doctor diagnosed or self diagnosed doesn’t really matter.
I want this to be an inclusive space where we can discuss wip, what we craft and the (fun?) challenges of crafting.
I would also like to try and get a ‘body doubling’ space running if possible, time zones permitting.

33 Likes

love this idea! :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

I had to look that term up, I guess I would be under that term. I have ADD, expressive language deficit and auditory processing deficit (which can make life real interesting), I’ve learned to work around them over the years for the most part, tho I’m much better at expressing myself in writing than speaking, there is a hard wire issue with what I’m thinking and being able to pull down the correct words for my thoughts when I speak, tho the problem isn’t there when I write, go figure, lol. The brain is very complex.

7 Likes

Just popping in to say Hi.

5 Likes

Hello @TheFairythorn

5 Likes

I love the body doubling idea! I am recent to Ribblr and just learning this ND group exists :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think I saw this post months ago but forgot about it before I could even reply XD adhd struggles

7 Likes

up to the body doubling thing :eyes::purple_heart: if you still want someone for that pls pm me!!

my adhd makes me completely dysfunctional aaaaaand then there’s the rest of my… idk the words for that send help.?! (we call it ‘quadro psiquiátrico’ in brazil). it includes severe hypersomnia and, consequently, abusing stimulants. all of them. a lot and all the time for the past 10+ years. from ginseng to dextroamphetamine (and… yeah, that not-so-legal stuff).

then i found out about body doubling AND IT HELPS ME MUUUCH MORE THAN ALL THAT HIGHLY HARMFUL SH- …poopies. im just glad i eventually found that out, tho!

the hypersomnia + adhd combo would already scramble my sleep schedule completely, but there’s the bipolar disorder too, so i sleep v randomly and timezones aren’t a problem at all! it’s even better bc i work waaay better at nighttime/dawn and… that’s when even my body doubling peeps sleep lmaooo

i know the post is hecka old but if you or anyone reads this: let’s do it pls pls pls :sneezing_face::two_hearts:

6 Likes

Tell me more about body doubling, is it like being a night owl?

4 Likes

Body doubling is a tool for people with adhd. It’s when you’re doing something, to motivate yourself, you have someone there with you. Be it in person, on call or by text, this person is providing the motivation to actually do the thing. The person doesn’t even have to participate. Just them being in the room while you do the thing helps. That is because their presence provides you with a well balanced amount of all the right chemicals, and of social pressure, to help you progress.

7 Likes

Fascinating! Thanks for educating me Winter!

4 Likes

It might work, if they don’t try giving orders, but most people cant manage that. (why are people, in general, so horrible?)
And as soon as people start issuing orders, my executive function goes into panic mode, because I cant make the transition from what I’m doing to what they just told me to do. I’ve spent a lifetime isolating myself from others when in work mode, its a hard habit to break.

2 Likes

Body doubling is not about giving orders, more about just having someone there :slight_smile: bosses are not good body doubles :rofl:

3 Likes

You’re in the right place! There are many people with ND in this platform.

3 Likes

how do i join

1 Like

I’d love to be part of the group chat for neurodivergent crafters! Thank you!

1 Like

I know I’m probably super duper late but I have adhd and crocheting is an awesome stim

2 Likes

I’m so happy to discover this corner of Ribblr! Can’t wait to connect with fellow neurospicy folks!