Advice for New Crocheter

Hello!! :blush:

Im kind of new to crocheting and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for what kinds of things to start with in making. Does anyone have any suggestions for simple things to crochet?

8 Likes

A simple granny square! Theyre fun and easy to make. Theyre made using dc stitches in the round, so youre repeating that stitch for each round. So very easy to learn that stitch and get the hang of it. Once you get more advanced there will be differnt types of grannies you can make​:heartbeat:

7 Likes

You could make some small simple amigurumis. They are quick to make and not complicated. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube, and as a beginner it can help alot, so I recommend watching video turorials at first.

7 Likes

I started with scrubbies and dishcloths just to get used to stitches

6 Likes

When starting crochet, you should start by crocheting in rows. I learned to crochet using amigurumi, but when I learned to crochet in rows I realized how much easier it is.

If you do want to start with amigurumi, octopi and whales are the classic beginner projects. Bees are also popular.

ttps://www.sweetsofties.com/2022/07/octopus-squish.html?m=1

This is my favorite octopus pattern. It’s super easy and super fast. It also kinda teaches you about crocheting in rows, since you do have to crochet in rows to make the tentacles.

I wish I had learned to crochet with this pattern, it’s so easy!!!

If you want a crochet kit, I love using Woobles. The kits are a little expensive, but they have easily understandable tutorials. Even if you don’t buy a kit, they have a tutorials page which explain everything pretty well.

ttps://thewoobles.com/pages/crochet-tutorials

This page is for right handed crocheters, but there is also a page for left handed crocheters.

Ribblr doesn’t allow me to post links, so simply copy and then create a new tab. Type a single h and then paste.

I hope this is helpful for you. Crocheting is so fun and it’s so satisfying to see the completed project. It’s also very fun to gift crocheted presents, since you get to personalise them.

4 Likes

If you want to make amigurumi, I would suggest practicing the magic ring, and working on tension! Also, make sure to have a stitch marker. I just use paper clips I have at home. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I wouldnt start with amigarumi, definitely flat things to help get used to the stitches. Best of luck, and welcome to Ribblr!

4 Likes

YESSSS STITCH MARKERS WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE.

However, my friend doesn’t like using stitch markers and prefers to just count in her head or on a piece of paper. She believes that stitch markers give her crochet pieces holes. This has never been true for me, as I use stitch markers all the time and never had issues with holes. Her method works for her though, and she stopped having hole issues.

Crocheting is really about what works for you. Everyone’s crocheting styles are different, which is why people ask fellow crafters to test their patterns. People have a different perspective, which helps catch mistakes, but they also crochet differently, which helps the designer see how other people may see the pattern.

Patterns rarely look the same as the photo because you crochet differently!

My advice is to just try crocheting. Learn and practice the stitches, and soon you’ll develop your own style.

3 Likes

Yes, welcome to Ribblr!! I forgot to say this. Oopsie. Ribblr is a gigantic friendly community and plenty of us will be happy to assist with crocheting, knitting, and other issues you might have!!

3 Likes

Thank you everyone! You are all amazing! So, I made a fish and a flat piece. Hopefully they aren’t terrible. They took so many tries to get right. I think I’m going to try a granny square next.

Also, is it supposed to curl in like that?

3 Likes

Making a simple 1 colour granny square is a great way to start

3 Likes

You’re so good!! Especially for a beginning crocheter. :smiling_face:

Oh and I mean no offense while saying this, I really do think that you are a very good crocheter and that your stitches are very nice and neat.

3 Likes

I find that my flat pieces also tend to curl sometimes. I don’t know why, but it happens to me frequently.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s supposed to or not, but it hasn’t harmed my crochet pieces and when you sew or crochet it on to something else, it doesn’t make it look weird or anything.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

Wow! You’re a beginner??? That looks really good!

3 Likes

This was my 2nd attempt:

2 Likes