Advice Please: Should I get a new job?

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone could give their opinion if I should get a new job?

My name is Kaitlyn and I’m 15.
I have had a job at a MacDonald’s store in Australia for approximately a year now.

I am a casual and have not had a job for about 2 months now and I’m thinking about leaving.

This is the second time it has happened to me and I’m really annoyed.

I usually work on counter, and I don’t believe I have done anything wrong.

Maybe they don’t like me​:cry:

Anyway, if I get a new job I will probably make Burritos at a Mexican restaurant called Guzman and Gomez (GYG) or a Grocery Store called Woolworths

I’m aiming at GYG Because we love their food and it is down the road from my house like MacDonalds
One of my friends has worked there since the beginning of this year. A shift is apparently 4 hours compared to a 3 and a 1/2 hour shift at MacDonalds. We probably get the same pay but it took me 1 year to get $1000 where my friend has $1000 in less than 6 months, I earn approximately $45-50 in a 3 and a 1/2 hour shift. Sundays and public holidays you always earn a little more money. I usually work a shift on 2 days either on a Friday, Saturday, or a Sunday. My friend works 2/3 shifts a week probably because they are always busy at GYG.

The only con that I have is that they always forget guacamole with the veggies, and my dad always gets mad that they can’t train people to do the burritos correctly. We always have to take them back and get them remade or be given guacamole
They know ( That’s the angry man who always complains about Guacamole ) since we go there enough. That’s my only restriction I think about getting a job there

I would like to change that, but the manager didn’t even know about it after 3/4 years of us going there almost every Friday since it opened and having burritos problems. Sometimes they don’t put spice in or they put the wrong meat as well

Prices have gone up so we only go there once in a while now. You do get discounts in food, which will bring the prices down a lot for a family of 4 at GYG

Please help because I can’t make my mind up and I’m really unsure
Sorry for something not relevant to Ribblr and going on a tangent

9 Likes

Hey! I’ll give some advice but I live in the states so it could be a bit unhelpful. (For context, I am 24 and have been working service jobs since 2016)

I have a few pieces of advice:

1. you might be able to ask the manager at mcdonalds for 4 hour shifts and see if that helps you make a bit more money in a week. Or you can ask the friend who you mentioned how much she makes and if they get tips. If it’s over $1 more I would say there is no harm in trying.

1.5) do take into account that no budget is the same even when they make the same amount. Does your friend crochet? Have expensive hobbies? Maybe they could save more because they don’t.

! Do not take that last point as me saying quit your hobbies! Do not stop doing something you love because you want to save money, it just leaves you unhappy.

1. about the con you mentioned, I would say try for it anyways. But if you get an interview be polite about you’re experience but don’t trash them. They may be negilgent in their burrito making skills, or they could be undertrained and overworked.

Sometimes you can fix your problem from the inside if your nice or work yourself up management BUT do NOT ruin your mental and/or physical health for a job. For any reason!

1. I would reccomend that if you feel unhappy in your position to see what else you can do as a job instead of being unhappy but also, don’t beat yourself up. Also, if you do start applying to new job DO NOT tell anyone at mcdonalds UNTIL you get a new job and have to turn in your notice.

I hope this helps! Sorry it’s a lot!

7 Likes

I won’t be giving crocheting up any time soon :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you for some helpful advice as I definitely won’t tell them if I get another job until I feel ready to do so

6 Likes

No problem! I hope you find somewhere that helps you save some money and feels good to work in!

6 Likes

Never trash a former employer, it doesn’t look good to new manager.
Do NOT even whisper to anyone that you’re looking for work elsewhere AND do NOT tell McDonalds anything until you’ve been hired at new place. You’ll know you’re hired when you’ve filled out the new employee paperwork for taxes. I think it’s standard to give 1,week notice for part time work.
I think you should move on, but it’s your choice.
Don’t even mention your Dad, or your experiences with their service in the past.
They are probably overworked, like most fast food places.

6 Likes

I don’t think I’m supposed to pay tax until I’m 18 or earn a certain amount of money in a week, because I haven’t paid any tax yet.
The one thing that I am now thinking of since you mention tax is my Super account (the money that gets put away from your earnings for when you are old and retire and can not touch until the age of 60). I was not allowed any because of my age or something, but I think the Australian government was supposed to change something in may this year. I think I might go and have a look at that​:slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for some more advice :kissing_heart:

6 Likes