advice

What is your best advice for beginner crocheters?

8 Likes

Dont get discourage if it doesnt look like you wanted on your first try. Remember practice makes perfect!

10 Likes

Like @CraftsByAdrivs said that’s very important! Another would be to practice with very simple things like shapes just to understand and get the hand of the basics, there is also a lot of tutorials in YouTube and basically everywhere as well so as a beginner finding resources and tutorials to actually see and visualize is very good for learning and comprehending

10 Likes

Some more technical advice:

• @ArtsAndNaps made a great point, i started with the same oval shaped amigurumis
  • Remember each language has its own terminology, dont confuse US with UK terminology!!
  • Remember hook and yarn size matter!
  • Yarn Over and Yarn Under make a difference in how the end project looks, make sure to stick to just one within the same project
11 Likes

My advice would be to be patient. Sometimes things take longer than you want but it is worth it in the end. And don’t get discouraged!

9 Likes

Stitch markers, stitch markers, stitch markers!

11 Likes

Agree with @SammichStitches !!! Stitch markers are your friends!
Always mark your 1st (or last) stitch

Sometimes if a round is too big with too many decreases/increases I mark with a different color stitch marker where that happened

9 Likes

If you get frustrated or discouraged, its okay to take a break from it. I tried to do a simple chain many times over the course of years before it finally clicked and then it all came very quickly after that. Good luck. Hope you love it :heart:

9 Likes

Don’t be afraid to start over. you will make mistakes but thats ok because you can always fix it!

11 Likes

take the time to learn the fundamental basics like gauge,what it is and what it means and why it matters
how yarn is made, differences in different types of yarns and fibers and why that matters,
and how shaping actually works …like the mathematical calculations that go into creating certain 3 dimensional shapes from the stitches you make
knowing these things will prevent a lot of confusion and disappointment

9 Likes

Try different yarns to see what you like and what you work with the best!

9 Likes

Go all out on educating yourself. I learned a LOT be googling the concept and looking at what comes up.
I probably looked at 30 magic ring tutorials by the time I got to a tutorial that “clicked” for me.

9 Likes

Take your time.

Don’t be afraid to frog when you realize you made a mistake. Heck, so it sometimes even if you did it right, just for practice!

Get something to help keep track of rows/rounds. I’m rather fond of my ring from Crit Success for this.

9 Likes

Practice. A lot. Just get going and keep going.

8 Likes

i started a couple weeks ago, and i would say take it easy, go at your own pace, don’t be afraid to ask questions, and have fun!

4 Likes