An ongoing struggle

I have super long, thick hair down to my waist. It’s also really heavy so putting it up is a struggle. I take many hours of ballet every week and my bun always falls out. I’ve tried it all :sob: other people have tried to make my bun stay put but it always falls apart without fail. I’ve used many bun making tools and I use so many Bobby pins but my hair is too heavy. Today I tried the only method I haven’t done yet. It looks promising so I’ll let you know how it goes soon!

16 Likes

If you can find it, look for the videos of military women putting their long hair up in buns. It can be done, but it’s easier to show than tell

8 Likes

My hair is beyond my waist and I’ve always struggled with keeping it up in a bun. My best suggestion would be to use a large claw clip along with spin pins.

Spin pins are kind of like a hat pin but they look like a spring, if nowhere else you can find them on amazon.

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

My hair is really thick and long too and at one point a couple years ago was down to my butt lol and I wrestled and played tennis. I wasn’t allowed to wear Bobby pins and the only things that worked for me was either incorporating braids into my bun or using a minimum of 3 ponytail holders. I would put one elastic as a ponytail, wrap the ponytail around in a ballet bun, and put 2 elastics to secure the bun. The higher up the bun is on your head, the easier it will stay as well.

I hope this helps!! :heart: people always say you can do so much more with thick hair but in reality, it’s so much harder and heavier :sob: makes me want to cut it all off sometimes.

7 Likes

Update! It held up great! I used about 15 Bobby pins and 3 hair ties and had to twist my hair in 2 sections. But it was the only thing that worked!

11 Likes

I have long hair as well, and have had even longer hair in the past, so I know what you’re talking about! (Also, my Mom’s hair is below her knees, so I can get some pretty good advice there!) I often to something similar with several elastics and bobby pins. It doesn’t always look great afterward, so I crocheted myself I bun cover that I can put on so no on knows. I don’t do ballet, so I’m worried about it being weird, but I made it in my hair color so hopefully it’s not too noticeable. Anyway, good luck! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Know that struggle too. My best buns stay put when my hair is wet and yes many bobby pins :sweat_smile:
Hopefully you find a method that works.

5 Likes

I don’t want to cut or thin out my hair :sweat_smile: I’m actually growing it longer I only trim it once a year :joy: not the best thing for my hair but it’s still pretty healthy for not cutting it!

5 Likes

Mine has never been cut, and is still extremely healthy. Takes a bit of extra loving care to keep it that way but I don’t mind.

4 Likes

I was randomly thinking about this last night while brushing my hair and throwing into a quick bun for bed… Have you tried the sock bun method?

4 Likes

I haven’t used socks but I have used a tool that essentially does the same thing but with wire in the inside. I worked great for a long time until we had to jump rope for 5 minutes and the bun fell out within the first 30 seconds :melting_face:

4 Likes

Gah! I love sock buns, but I do also use pins with them… I was hopeful it could be helpful…
Did the technique you tried shortly after the original post work? If so, I’d love to know as my hair is past my waist

3 Likes

Yes it did! I can send you the exact video if you’d like!

3 Likes

Sure, thanks

3 Likes