Beginner needs help!

Has anyone made the free e-pattern Cherry Blossom Coasters? The pattern starts off with “Start a magic ring, ch 1, [3 dc, sl st, ch 1] 5 times in the ring.” I get the 3 double crochets, and I think for the sl st I just go through the ring, yarn over, pull through the ring and through st on hook right? What I don’t get is how to ch 1 in the ring? Am I reading this wrong? Also, pattern says to use 2.5mm hook which is very small for 4 ply cotton yarn. I’m struggling to keep the yarn on the hook. Thanks for any help I can get! :grin:

5 Likes

Hi Kimberly!

Let me try to help you out!
Regarding the hook size - we created the coasters using 2.5mm to achieve a tight result. You can use a 3mm hook instead, and make sure you work tightly. The Gauge is not very important in this project, but it might affect the final measurements of the coaster.

Regarding the first instruction: You assume correctly about the ‘sl st’!
The Ch-1 is done after the sl st (so technically not into the ring itself). If it’s too confusing, instead of a MR you can start with:
-Ch 4, sl st into the first st, ch 1-
and then work the brackets instructions into the ring formed by the ch-4.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Lir | Team Ribblr :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much. This does help immensely. I will definitely try a 3mm hook and working tightly usually isn’t a problem for me. :grin:

2 Likes

Great! Feel free to let me know if you need anything else! :purple_heart:

1 Like