Beginning Crocheter

Hi! I have just started crocheting (and just joined Ribblr). I am confused about matching hook size to yarn weight when it comes to creating projects. . . how important is hook size when it comes to following patterns? Thank you!

8 Likes

It’s about matching the gauge : ) It’s basically if you want something to be as close as possible to what the designer’s outcome was, otherwise, experiment! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Hope this helps! :two_hearts:
:orange_heart:Nicole

4 Likes

Thank you very much! That is super helpful :grin:

3 Likes

If the pattern has a gauge, like for clothing, you want to check that. It simply means to make a square following the patterns stitches, and see if you get the same dimensions. If you use a bigger hook to make a hat, for example, it could be huge.
Some people save the gauge squares to make a blanket later.

4 Likes

It depends what you’re making. If you’re making a garment, obviously you want to use the recommended hook size and yarn weight (in addition to doing a gauge swatch to make sure you don’t need to adjust). If you’re making amigurumi, it isn’t as important. But the bigger the difference in your hook size and yarn weight compared to the pattern, the bigger the ending size difference will be.
Hope that helps!
Sarah

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I will be sure to check gauge sizes

4 Likes

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I started with amigurumi, and didn’t have the right hook sizes, so it was strange when making it up worked out ok :joy:
Thank you for your help!

5 Likes

share a picture with us?

4 Likes

This is my first project.

6 Likes

Perfect. Good job. And thanks for sharing. Before you know it, you’ll be doing this:

4 Likes

Aw, it’s so cute! It looks like it took some time but was definitely worth it!
Thanks for the feedback and giving me something to look forward to :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Oh my good GODS that is the cutest little octo-bean I’ve ever seen! You did amazing! Keep that little dude, it will be great to compare with new projects so you can see your skills improve over time. I still have my first amigurumi piece and I can tell you, yours is a lot better than mine. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s adorable! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words! I have already seen some improvement and you’re right, it is really satisfying!

4 Likes

So adorable! Better than the ratty washcloth that was my first project!

3 Likes