Best Crochet Hook Sets

I know itā€™s a little early to be talking about Christmas. But does anyone have a certain crochet hook set they have been eying lately? Iā€™ve always wanted to try furls. And hand carved wooden hooks as well. I want to know some brand names to give my husband an idea of what I want this year. :joy:

12 Likes

Depends if you want inline or tapered hooks.

Furls does not make any true inline hooks. If you like tapered theyā€™re great. I recommend the odyssey for any project that has long repeats i. e. Blankets, scarves, shawls.
The streamline is good, but ones smaller than H tend to break, my G broke where the hook is shortly after I received it.
Other tapered is Tulip and Clover which are too short for my long hands. Thereā€™s Boye, which I canā€™t stand, too plasticy for me.
Iā€™ve never tried the others so canā€™t tell you about them.

I like the metal hooks. Some swear by the bamboo, but I donā€™t like the drag on it.

As far as I know the only true inline hooks sold in US that are metal ( aluminum) are made by Susan Bates. I used this baby and my hands said ā€œ perfectā€. Since my hands are long, I get the longer Susan Bates. See pictures.
Most amigurumi artists prefer inline hooks.

So, I think if youā€™re using a typical tapered hook and your yarn keeps sliding off the hook, get an inline hook.

Michaels doesnā€™t sell Susan Bates. Joannā€™s sells Susan Bates in all its forms/sizes as well as other Susan Bates notions.

10 Likes

Wow :star_struck: thank you so much for the recommendations. Iā€™ve mostly used the metal Susan bates hooks for the past 10 years Iā€™ve been crocheting. And they do the best job for my projects. Iā€™m not a fan of ergonomic hooks because of how short the end is. Right now I have a bunch of random hooks. I just want a clean set with a case.

7 Likes

Huh! Just saw this, this is new.

5 Likes

I saw this set on yarnspirations (I think thatā€™s what I was watching) on YouTube. Iā€™ve always thought someone needed to make a set like this.

4 Likes

So, I like my furls Odyssey, but I canā€™t afford a whole set right nowā€¦ The wooden streamline are ok in my opinionā€¦ I feel like the Odyssey are tapered and the wooden streamline are inlineā€¦ I prefer taperedā€¦
However my second favorite is my Yarn Mania lighted interchangeable setā€¦ It has metal hooks (tapered) with a rechargeable light (newer version has more light settings)ā€¦ It has an ergonomic handle, and doesnā€™t squeak like the plastic crochet lite hooks, and is so much brighter (I have older version with only 1 setting, but my understanding is this brightness is one of the settings of new version)ā€¦
I took these pics using same settings (no flash) on my Samsung S9+ in the darkā€¦ The pics that donā€™t show the hook, but the project is lighted, the hooks were held approx 6" away pointed at the project

Here a pic showing the shape of the handleā€¦ I use a knife hold and itā€™s amazing, I held it pencil hold just to see and I think it works well for that too (canā€™t give as good of a review on that as itā€™s an uncomfortable hold for me)

6 Likes

My ā€œgo-toā€ is Clover. But I like Tulip too. Not a fan of bamboo, but I do like Furls. I also like Prymā€¦ It is really your choice. You want something that is easy to your hand. I need a good grip on my hooks, so anything metal wonā€™t work with me.

3 Likes

I get my susan bates hooks at Micheals

3 Likes