Blocking Mats worth it?

Hey! I’ve never blocked an item before and now I’ve just about finished my first knit top, are blocking Mats worth the purchase?

• Yes!
  • No​:no_good_woman:
  • Maybe… (comment below!)

0 voters

3 Likes

Follow up: where would you purchase for best value??

4 Likes

I never block anything, ever, period. I just don’t have the time or patience for having to spend even more time and energy on something that I already spent that much time and energy on making to begin with.
But if you are going to block, buy the high density foam floor mats meant for garages and the “T” shaped pins meant for wigs. Those are the cheapest options for a setup of any size.

6 Likes

Maybe, it depends on how often you are going to use them.
I just blocked a small blanket with a stream iron in between a towel on a table.
I bought some a couple of years ago and I remember thinking “ That’s a lot ($) for some squares of foam whatchamacallit”.
I planning using the blocking mats more when I get the motifs done for a large blanket x3.

4 Likes

I’ve blocked squares / triangles for a blanket and it helped to connect them easier. I like the idea of the floor mats because there are other uses. After my last move, I use cork bulletin boards. Happen to have an extra large (expensive to replace) one. T pins … interesting. Now that I looked for a picture of the foam mats, I found I want this one …

3 Likes

Yes, the T pins, but buy the ones that are RUST free! :open_mouth::open_mouth:

5 Likes

I have used my bed and the carpeted floor, but I prefer my blocking mats that have the grid so that I can get things straight… I block just about everything though, because if I’m putting the time and energy into a project, I want it to look the best it can look… I know many say you don’t need to block crochet or acrylic, but I will argue with both until I’m blue in the face…
If you don’t want to block everything, I highly recommend blocking anything you will be joining (motif blankets, “seamed” garments, etc) as it makes it easier to join/align…

3 Likes

Best value? Depends on what route you go… Honestly I just bought mine on Amazon, but craft stores with coupons would probably be cheaper… If you are just getting simple floor mats without the grid, a home improvement like store might have then cheaper :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Thank ye all so much this is all so helpful!!! Especially the rust free tpins I would’ve completely missed that :laughing:

2 Likes

That’s why I said the ones meant for wigs. If you buy them from the beauty supply shop (Sally’s) they are designed for setting wet wigs and are meant to be used with water exposure

3 Likes

Purchase them from a beauty supply store, they are meant for setting wet wigs and are designed to get wet

2 Likes

A lot of the time I wind up just steaming and pinning it to the carpet, a firm pillow, a bed, etc. to block, I found an old canvas and used that for a while, it was effective.

3 Likes

Thank you! Might try a couple of these ideas out while I decide if I’ll purchase blocking Mats or not

2 Likes