Blocking tips??

Any tips/instructions for blocking? I need to block a puece but its my first time doing it and i dont know anything! Let me know your tips and most importantly, how you block pieces!

11 Likes

I put my piece on the blocking board with tpins. Then I take a spray bottle and spray the piece until its damp. After I take a towel and pat dry to get any access water off and then I let it dry overnight on the board with pins inplace :))

3 Likes

I use my iron to block on the steam setting but you can also use a foam mat and non rust pins to block as well.
Just pin it to the foam mat then moisten the piece with water and let it dry.

2 Likes

This is not helpful at all and probably not super great but I never block my flat pieces-
I kinda just fake it till I make it :sparkles:

3 Likes

we twinning :sparkles:

4 Likes

There’s different ways to block with some more suited for different fibers, however whatever you plan to pin your piece with make sure they’re rust resistant! I highly recommend looking into videos on this as they offer great tips and tricks, and safe ways to block a piece depending on the method some even showing the difference of different blocking methods. Good luck! :smile:

2 Likes

The most important question is, what is your material, as that changes the method?

1 Like

I’m bot 100% sure, as i got it from a thrift store. Im going to say acrylic however as thats the closest in look and feel

1 Like

So I would say your smartest bet would be to steam block. Pin into place using rust-proof pins, hold steam a couple inches from your work and allow it to get your piece damp from the steam. If you need or want you can lightly stretch and repin while steaming. Let dry.

2 Likes

Dollar Tree sells a blocking tool (small pegboard set) in the craft department.

3 Likes