Can you understand my patterns?

Hiya folks! Looking through some other patterns it seems I have a different way of writing certain things in the patterns I make so I’m worried they aren’t legible to most/some people. If you want to look at my patterns directly, all of the ones I’ve posted are totally free (you don’t have to follow me). Basically I still use all of the standard American abbreviations for stitches and stuff but I use but for patterns of stitches that are repeated I use asterisks to indicate the start and end of cycles to repeat. I have some more patterns that I need to revise and publish at some point so redoing all of my patterns if they do make sense would be a pretty big waste of time.

I also have instructions that make sense for me but I’m worried that they’ll be difficult to understand for other people. An example of this is how I crochet the Crab legs in my crab pattern or how I made and then attached the toes in my opossum pattern (sorry I can’t link it cuz Ribblr says 1 link only). Does it make sense? If not, how can I make the instructions easier to understand?

15 Likes

I took a look and I can clearly understand your patterns! I get that lots of people write patterns differently, not all patterns need the same style!

8 Likes

I read through the pattern and I understood! I definetly have to make the crab someday!! and your opposum is so cute!!

5 Likes

Your patterns are definitely adorable and understandable!
Although, if you want to make the rows for the toes shorter you could do that by changing (for example) ch7, sc in second and all other chains to ch7, sc 6 down the chain, or ch7, sc down the chain.
Just preferences as to how each person writes it :]

5 Likes

Using asterisks to designate a repeated section is quite acceptable and in other situations it is standard.

Some designers put a note explaining what “( )”, “{ }” or “* *” mean in their pattern. If you did that, then absolutely NO PROBLEM!

3 Likes