Caron Cakes “Clouds”

Caron Cakes “Clouds” only found at Michaels.
States it a #4/worsted weight-NOT. At 13 WPI it a #3/DK weight.
100% polyester
Very very soft, did I say soft?
Very little to no drag on hook
Doesn’t snap easy but if you do a slow steady pull it comes apart.
Machine wash and dryer ok per manufacturer.
760 yards for $6.99 ( got it on like a get rid of the yarn sale) for 9 cents a yard. Normally 10.99
Can see your stitches ok, just need to work slower.
I bought like 4000 yards of this and ended up taking it all back except this cake I used.
I would not buy this yarn again.

15 Likes

It’s considered a 4 weight because of the size hook/needle it uses. It is meant to be used at a 4 gauge because of the halo… Like angora. I have some of this for an upcoming sweater.

8 Likes

I had always wondered why they did that! Its very confusing

4 Likes

Yes, when you have a yarn that has a lot of fluff and a thin core, you are supposed to use a larger gauge and let the fluff fill in the spaces. It’s one of the reasons that a yarn shop might tell you that a yarn is not really suitable for crochet. You can crochet with it, but the stitches are basically tight knots and will not have the same effect as an open knit stitch and may not be worth having spent the money on it

7 Likes

Thats interesting! Thanks for the info!

4 Likes

Thank you for this review! I recently used this yarn for a baby sweater and it turned out nice and soft but the yarn was so weird to work with. I don’t know if I like or dislike it because it’s so different from what I’m used to. I found it hard to meet gauge with it because it was so slippery. I have a couple rolls left I’m not sure what to do with yet.

5 Likes

I’d be interested in knowing what that baby sweater looks like after washing/drying.

5 Likes

its so pretty tho

4 Likes

I liken it to a gorgeous empty headed plaything.

4 Likes