Converting patterns to Tunisian

As someone who is new to Tunisian crochet, I have noticed there is not a whole lot of patterns out there. I seen on Tik tok the other day a girl has started converting traditional crochet patterns into Tunisian. Of course I have many questions on how that works because it would definitely throw off sizing and length due to the nature of the stitch. Anyone have any insight or suggestions they could provide on this? I want to try it out! Thanks :two_hearts:🫶🏼

8 Likes

I do know what Tunisian Crochet is but I’ve never tried it before. This does seem like something I want to see on here too. Hope we can find a solution for this.

2 Likes

Hi! It’s so pretty and I’ve grown to prefer it over traditional crochet for wearables. I’ve made some beanies and scarves but nothing extravagant yet. I would like to make a sweater and I have one in mind but curious if anyone with experience writing patterns could provide some insight for the best way to convert sizing. So glad I’m not alone lol

3 Likes

I have seen on YouTube that TL yarn crafts does a lot of Tunisian pattern work. she also has a website that may have some patterns.

4 Likes

She is awesome! I actually created her mesa hat following along on her YouTube. 10/10 recommend :two_hearts:

3 Likes

That’s awesome! She’s actually how I found out about Tunisian crochet.

2 Likes

I stumbled across it on Tik tok when a girl was making a massive blanket but I was so new to crochet at the time I didn’t dare take on another craft but now that I’m comfortable with my crochet ability’s I want to keep expanding. Knitting is terrifying but I’ve also been told if you master Tunisian that knitting is easier to understand.

3 Likes

That’s awesome!! I have seen a few patterns for sale on Etsy but there aren’t many patterns available there. My Dad surprised me by getting me Tunisian crochet hooks for Christmas so I’m excited to start experimenting with them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think converting regular crochet patterns into Tunisian Crochet patterns would really be feasible. You would have to ask the designer of the original pattern you want to convert to do that, and they might not know how to do Tunisian Crochet. Or may not be interested in doing that

Tunisian Crocheting is really unique, not every crochet pattern is suitable to do in Tunisian Crochet.

Talk to one or more of the Tunisian Crochet designers here on Ribblr for some tips. Abbeymade comes to mind

Here is Ribblr’s Tunisian patterns

1 Like

I found 14 Tunisian crochet patterns on Hobbii the yarn site for free.

1 Like

Knitters can learn crochet, Tunisian Crochet can help them understand it better. Also crocheters can begin to learn knitting if they learn Tunisian Crochet, knitting and Tunisian Crochet have a few things in common

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Let me know how your first projects goes :two_hearts:🫶🏼

1 Like

I appreciate your insight! I was more along the lines seeking anyone who has done it in the past who could provide guidance on how they did it and what they took into account etc.

1 Like

Agreed! There’s not a lot about tunisian really anywhere. The most prolific person I’ve seen is Toni from TLYarn crafts. If she can do it so can we!

The easiest types of patterns to convert would be those using single crochet only, SC = TSS.
Half double crochet is a bit taller and tunisian full stitch seems to work a bit taller and thicker than the simple so HDC = TFS.
Tunisian crochet also has some textured stitches that mimic those of standard crochet.

There would be a lot of playing with the tension to get things just right.

1 Like

Kim Guzman has a lot of Tunisian Crochet patterns

Very true. I didn’t think about the SC being most relatable to the Tunisian stitch. I guess for a DC it would need to account for two rows = 1 so basically doubling the amount of rows required

1 Like