#CraftersAgainstPiracy | help us protect indie-designers!

Nope, not alone. I’m here for you.

3 Likes

I you have done already a lot, thanks for your support
:open_hands:

4 Likes

If there’s anything I can do to help please let me know :two_hearts:

2 Likes

thank you, very kind of you,
I am going to wait until tomorrow to see if Amazon does something… if not I will send you the fraudulent listing and I would appreciate if you could report it as a copyright infringement,…if you have a minute to do it. I think that could help…
This helps to support my impression of Ribblr and its community as a crucial advocate for designers like me.
Thank you all for your support.

7 Likes

Honestly I can’t understand how people think it’s ok take someone else’s patterns that were developed and published or sold as individual patterns by someone else and sell them as their own. It’s theft. Some people in the music industry that don’t have a label or manager etc, (my ex did this) they have it noterized as their work and then send a copy of their work and the noterized page to them selves by registered mail, return receipt requested and DON’T open the letter. if it goes to court you have your pattern that is dated with a notary public and registered mail date and it can be opened by the court.

4 Likes

hey, as a fairly new person in the selling crafts industry, is it okay if i get the pattern from the original seller, make it according to the pattern (like knitting or crocheting the item) and then selling it , while also crediting the maker of the pattern? /genq

7 Likes

some pattern makers won’t mind if you mention their name as the pattern maker, but some will, so it’s customary to ask them if they haven’t mentioned anything on their pattern about that.

5 Likes

Just an update… Amazon took down one of the sites with the stolen patterns, we are waiting for the second thief site to be taken down…
Now there is a new doll patterns book available in Amazon :slight_smile:
Letodolls Crochet Patterns: Large Dolls (21" / 53 cm) Vol 1: Vintage BFFs
by María Sánchez (Author), Marilyn Cochrun (Editor)
Format: Kindle Edition

Thank you all for your support.

9 Likes

I have the patterns copyrighted, however, like you said… some people think is it ok…
thanks for caring!

5 Likes

I give permission to sale the dolls made following my patterns if credit is given, like a reference to my Ribblr or Etsy shops.
I know several people sale the dolls they make in craft fairs, I think that is great, is a good way to increase the love for this craft.
you can see the wording I have if you open any of my doll patterns.
I hope this helps
Best

7 Likes

Congratulation on your book pattern on Amazon Maria! I hope you sell bunches. :partying_face:

7 Likes

That’s good, progress is being made :slightly_smiling_face:
Also congrats on your new pattern book! :partying_face: I wish you good luck with your sales and fight for reclamation of these patterns :purple_heart:

5 Likes

3 Likes

Hi—I see where you’re coming from, but I think you’re misunderstanding the movement! Taking inspiration from something and creating it in your own way with your own hands is one thing (and an art form in itself, if you ask me). This is different than buying or downloading someone else’s finished pattern, and duplicating it, and passing it off as your own.
As someone who often draws inspiration from other garments I do see where you’re coming from.
It’s impossible to guarantee that no one will steal your design and copy it. However, Ribblr’s fight is against piracy and pattern theft—hence the whole format of the platform. It’s very difficult to duplicate ePatterns and that’s part of why we love them!

3 Likes

Yes. By law, you are allowed to sell anything you create and no one can touch you. If the creator of the pattern doesn’t want you to, it’s really up to your own morality standards. The creator of the pattern owns the pattern. Anything YOU make, you own. I’ve done a lot of research on copyright (for many things) but for fashion, no. Never. A garment is never copyrighted. That’s why knockoffs are perfectly legal, though frowned upon by some. Of course credit should always be given no matter what. You should get the credit for the work you did, and so should the pattern maker :blush:

5 Likes