Crochet Amigurumi Tips (1)

Hello guys!

I’m Becky and I love crocheting amigurumis (to the point of carpal tunnel :sob::sob:). I want to share the passion and the experience I’ve gained through my time making amigurumis with blanket/chenille yarns. Hopefully, it is something helpful to you. Drop a feedback if you like/hate this (although I’m fragile, so plz don’t actually say you hate it :sob::sob:)

The hook: choose the right hook for your yarn. My suggestions as follows:
Premier Parfait Chunky (sz 6): 4.5mm
Premier Just Chenille (sz 6): 4mm
Sweet Snuggles Lite (sz 6): 5.5mm

(I’ll update later on faux fur yarn later. In my opinion, as a beginner, don’t jump into faux fur yet)

The tension: keep your tension consistent. I like to wrap the yarn around my ring finger, and then over my index. This allows your yarn to slide, less motions on your hands, and keeps the tension steady. If your tension is too loose, tighten your ring and pinky fingers to adjust.

Counting stitches: how I count my stitches to make sure I’m maintaining stitch count:
6sc: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
(Sc, Inc)*6: 1, 2-1, 2-2, 3, 4-1, 4-2, 5, 6-1, 6-2, 7, 8-1, 8-2, 9, 10-1, 10-2, 11, 12-1, 12-2 (meaning increase every multiple of 2)
(2sc, Inc)*6: 1, 2, 3-1, 3-2, 4, 5, 6-1, 6-2 … and so on (increase every multiple of 3). I know at the end of the round, I should stop at 18-2, since it’s 3 stitches in the parenthesis * 6 = 18.

Alrighty. That was a lot to take in. Let me know if this helps.

4 Likes

Wow, tysm! I’m just getting into amigurumi, so this will be super helpful!