Crochet Class

Hey! This summer I get to teach a one-week crochet class, but I don’t know what project/s I should teach, any ideas?

13 Likes

Thats really cool! Depends on age really but maybe a hat or a bag? Both include lots of repeats to get used to stitches and arent too crazy to start with

7 Likes

When I first learnt to crochet I did a lot of granny squares. You could possibly teach them to make a granny square each and then combine them into one big shawl or blanket.

6 Likes

The granny square idea would be perfect!

5 Likes

Maybe something small? I have a pattern in my shop for a very easy frog. Just MR inc dec sc bbl :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It will also depend on where you are teaching the class… I’ve had several that I was told what to teach and the class had already been given a shopping list and copy of the pattern, which was usually a surprise to me on the day of the class

6 Likes

If it was me- I’d start with teaching them the chain stitch and SC. They practice at home LOTS till next week.
Once they are comfortable with that on week 2 I’d teach them DC, then HDC. They practice at home LOTS till next week.
Week 3 make a washcloth. They practice at home LOTS till next week.

I may be wrong, but I don’t think this is a craft you can can get to an intermediate level if one needs their hand held every step of the way. There has to be a strong motivation to overcome the times where it is frustrating.

4 Likes

I think it depends on the group you are teaching and the level they are at. I did that once at a retirement home. Most used to, but didn’t have their faculties any more. :frowning: We did have some fun visiting during the class though. Thinking about doing something like that again here with the community. So many want to learn.

4 Likes

Start with simple
Dish cloths or a basic blanket

6 Likes

Something small that can be mostly completed in class is always best.
Whales, jellyfish, cookies, etc.

3 Likes

I would start with a simple coaster! That way you can teach different stitches easier, like you have some rows of sc, some rows of hdc, some rows of dc, etc., and that way there’s practice with different stitches!

3 Likes