Crochet Hook Help

If I crochet in tighter stitches should I go up a hook size?

A pattern I have asks for 5.5 hook but I also have a 5.75, would it be more beneficial if I crochet tighter to use the 5.75 hook?

9 Likes

what’s the pattern for? you definitely could, but i don’t think it would make much of a difference unless the pattern is something form-fitted or specifically measured

6 Likes

If your have a 5.5 use it. But if you don’t then sure use the 5.75, depending on what you are making I would just do regular stickes

6 Likes

It depends, do you want tight stitches? I would say go up a hook size that way you won’t have to fight to get inside a stitch but it really depends on how tight your tension is and what you’re making

7 Likes

Best way to find out is to make a swatch, and see if you’re matching the gauge with the 5.75 hook.

9 Likes

I prefer to go smaller if I’m making amigurumi so the stuffing doesn’t poke through but it’s really personal preference. For wearables I agree with @pandachu about gauge swatching.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone! I made a swatch and it was too big so I went back down to 5.5! :heart::sparkles:

5 Likes

Gj

1 Like