Crochet Rings?

I’ve only been crocheting for a little over a week and the only problem I’ve been having is that the running string wears my finger down and creates a carpet burn effect. I was looking up alternatives and found crochet rings, but they seem a bit odd.
Does anyone use them? How do you like it? Does it feel much different? If you don’t use them, what is your alternative?
Thank you so much!

7 Likes

When i started it was like that. When i kept pulling the stitch tight using that finger it made it worse. When it did that i had made a little pipe cleaner thingy that covered my finger. My dad also had some of this weird tape.

5 Likes

i meant when it did that i had made a pipe cleaner thingy

4 Likes

I have never used them because I will still have to regulate tension with my fingers anyway. It sounds like you need to practice holding your yarn differently. You can use either of your first 2 fingers, or both, you can hold them up and pull yarn from under them, you can hold them down and pull yarn from over them,you can use the end of your finger or the knuckles.
While it is far less common, you can even hold the yarn in your right hand or crochet one handed.
I’m just saying that before you rely on gadgets that may not help at all, you should probably get a little more experience and get confident with how you crochet

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s been a very good deterrent for pulling it too tight. I think I’m a master at leaving it slack now :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That’s very helpful! I honestly didn’t even consider holding the yarn a different way :sweat_smile: I thought there was only one way- I’ve been using the index finger underneath the string. I try to put it on my finger tip, but it naturally falls to my knuckle while I’m working and that’s where the friction is the worst for me.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing it for nearly 50 years and I still find that I change it up depending on the yarn and the stitch

6 Likes

What @anon5108995 is saying is true :slight_smile: as you crochet, you will gain some ease and be able to release your holding hand tension a little bit. You’ll kinda get a feel as to how to let the yarn flow through with enough tension for your stitches to be even etc.

3 Likes

Same issue with me! Until I got a grasp on how to control my tension with my entire hand, not just that finger, it seemed to not occur as much. It still happens when I use certain yarn, do certain stitches, or crochet A LOT in a short period. Back when it was an issue, I looked at these rings & others including the variations by Clover & Boye which I did purchase. Neither helped just made me feel like I would have to learn an all new technique.
My daughter had some KT tape for volleyball so I decided to try that & it worked great! (I cut each strip in half lengthwise & cut those lengths into 4 equal mini strips then rounded the corners…annoying but worth it to avoid the constant blister on my finger!) after a while I noticed I was going thru a lot of pieces which wasn’t economical so I began my search again.
I ordered about 12 different items to test & finally found these finger sleeves (link below)! They come in different sizes, at least 2 per size , in a total pack of 12. They worked extremely well, we’re inexpensive, & best of all reusable! I didn’t have to alter my technique just had to get used to the compression (which actually helped the soreness I had in my fingers….I now wear multiples if I’m working on a large project). They do wear out over time but I haven’t had to buy another pack even though I crochet just about daily & I’ve been using these for almost 3 years now. This is definitely my choice!
I hope this helps Bc I wouldn’t want anyone to go thru the frustration I did! I researched for about 18mos before I landed where I did. I cursed the crochet industry for not already having a product out there to fix an issue I discovered SO many new & returning crocheters (like myself) were having! Thank goodness for sites / communities like Ribblr!!
Have a good one & good luck my friend!!

PS….Ribblr wouldn’t allow me to insert links to the products so I copied the title for the page so you could easily find exactly what I’m talking about above. Think that’s kind of silly, considering there’s a hyperlink button but whatever! Lol!

— SEARCH —
Flents Finger Sleeves, Pain Relief for Arthritis, Inflammation, Tendonitis & Athletic Stress, Plastic Wrap for Support & Compression, Assorted Size - 12 Count
$5.03 — $5.29 (current Amazon price)

— SEARCH —
KT Tape Pro Synthetic Kinesiology Therapeutic Sports Tape, 20 Precut, 10” Strips
$11 — $25 (price fluctuates a lot on Amazon; ck colors for subscribe & save opportunities!)

4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Just the links :fu:

4 Likes

As an old person, I am obligated to tell you that if your technique is causing you pain, then your technique is wrong for your body. The pain is telling you to change your technique, not figure out a way to mask it and keep going.

6 Likes

I don’t have any tension at all. It’s actually caused all of my projects to be super loose because it hurts too bad to hold tension consistently. I’m just crocheting for multiple hours every single day. I’ve been making a lot of scarfs. :sweat_smile::joy:

1 Like

I’ve only seen people complain about those rings. What eventually helped me was wrapping the yarn behind my ring finger and using that to keep tension and my pointer finger to guide the yarn.

I have seen girls in videos use band aids over their finger to protect it from yarn burn. If you wanna wrap your finger you might wanna try that before buying something special since you probably already have a bandaid around.

I gotta agree with @anon5108995 sorting out what youre doing with your hand will be better then a gadget.

5 Likes

My daughter bought me a tension ring for a gift (she tried) it just got in the way.
I do use this cheap ace bandage when I’m working for a couple of hours or if the yarn is bothersome. I didn’t change my technique of holding the yarn . Other than the burn on my index finger near the nail I’m completely comfortable with my technique.

As far as too loose, I hear you! Just keep practicing, you’ll start to loosen ( I’m a tight crocheter) the tension as you gain experience.

But what you found is better!! Thanks for sharing!!

This how I hold my yarn.

5 Likes

This is how I hold too!

2 Likes

At some point I will have to film myself, that is not at all what it looks like when I do it

2 Likes

I agree with the others that you might just need to hold your yarn differently! Try both hands as well because one might just work better for you. I hold the yarn with my left hand while crocheting but with my right hand when knitting but I have seen people crochet while holding the yarn and hook both in their right hand. I wrap my yarn around my pinky finger and then under my ring and middle finger then over my index and then pull and guide with my index finger. What works for you might not work for someone else but once you find what works best for you it will be so much easier! :heartpulse:

2 Likes