Crochet speed - how fast are you?

Hi
Has anyone ever tried to figure out how many stitches per minute they can do? For example, in songle chain i average 17 stitches per minute. I would love to find out how fast people can stitch, I feel like i crochet a lot slower than i knit.

12 Likes

working in a rnd i did 37 sc in a minute!

8 Likes

I actually have timed myself with sc. I can get about 70 to 80 sc a minute. Which is a little more than 1 per second. Its been a while but now im tempted to time again lol

11 Likes

:scream:

6 Likes

I should probably mention I do this full time for work, and that was across a standard sc row for blankets I was working on. Im positive it slows down significantly if im following a new pattern or working decreases in it. They always slow me down xD

11 Likes

Thats fantastic!!

7 Likes

I am more steady than fast. :wink:

9 Likes

I am significantly slower at crochet than knit. I can knit a 2x long-sleeved tunic-length sweater on 10s in 8 days, working at a steady but relaxed pace. The same size/gauge in crochet takes 15 days. No idea how many stitches per minute since stitches change up all the time.

7 Likes

I have done some basic squares, like dishcloths, really fast. But not my normal speed.

7 Likes

I’ve never timed myself but have gotten pretty quick and can make about two smaller amigurumi in a day or one regular size. However, when I don’t have a deadline I prefer to slow it down. It’s much easier on the hands that way.

8 Likes

yes, I find knitting to be easier on my hands than crochet. My eyes as well. I have to take so many more breaks when I crochet.

7 Likes

Yeah, its mostly my freehanded stuff or things that I dont have to read a pattern for that go quickly. Granny hexi cardis are another one I can go through, and bucket hats. Amigurumi definitely take me a bit longer relative to the size with stuffing, color changes, and the like!

8 Likes

Im starting to find knitting hard on my hands why is why i made the leap.
Knitwise i can do a fingering weight sock a day or a blanket in 3 to 4.

8 Likes

Knitting does sound fun too and relaxing, I’m hoping some day to be able to learn. I do keep an Ott-light lamp nearby that helps my eyes especially when working with dark yarn.

8 Likes

the way I knit is different than the new youtube style and developed over the first decade of knitting… just like my handwriting. I guess because I was left to explore my own style and told how to make correction/alterations in my own style based on reading the fabric and photos instead of the directions and doing it a certain way, I have been able to be a lot more comfortable with it.

7 Likes

I have never heard of dark yarn being a thing in knitting… because all the stitches are there, already pulled up for you in a neat row. Novelty yarns can be a pain in the butt because they either won’t slide properly or they want to felt while working with them, but that applies in crochet as well

6 Likes

Try dropping a stitch :wink:

7 Likes

even dropped stitches are only problem on novelty yarns… or in lace :face_with_peeking_eye: but that is what safety lines are for

6 Likes

Tbh im usually working in lace lol

7 Likes

I did time how long it took me to make a 7 round granny square, it was 15 minutes. But that was about 8 years ago. I crochet pretty much all day every day as it’s my full time job. But not timed myself properly recently. A few weeks back I made an amigurumi doll in 6 hours though.

7 Likes