Does anyone have a crafting notebook/journal?

I’m curious if anyone else has a crafting notebook/journal, I’m currently in the process of moving from an old one into a brand new one. My old one was an old notebook that I kept holding onto but I finally accepted that I just don’t like the book and am moving into one Iike more.

I was wondering if any of you have one, if you would be willing to share photos of it or explain how you organise it, what you put in it, if you have reference pages for tracking what needle or hook sizes you have or favourite brands and stores. Once I decide how I want to organise my new one I’ll share photos with everyone!

8 Likes

I’ve always loved the idea of having your own crafting journal!!! I have plenty of notebooks but have never had the inspiration to make my own, but I would love to see what yours and what others look like to get started on mine!

2 Likes

I’ve become dependent on OneNote for my project journaling. I normally jot down my notes during the project and transfer to OneNote.
I’ve tried to keep a notebook in the past, but it becomes too difficult to reference back to older projects.
I’m so looking forward to using the journal here on Ribblr for the patterns I purchase.

4 Likes

I have been thinking about a spreadsheet to track my stash. But maybe a notebook would be better. I guess I could print the spreadsheet and put it in a notebook …

2 Likes

@TexasPurl
I have a digital notebook where I track WIPs, future projects and completed projects in a list format, but I’m cautious about relying on a digital format as glitches can happen and things can be deleted from both PC and the cloud. Make sure you have a backup of everything, ideally you should have multiple backups of all files and it applies to a project journal too.

I also have a page where I list stitches I want to learn in knitting (I only started knitting in February of this year)

@HookedByMarilyn
Do both. I have a spreadsheet that I started a while back that I record my yarn in (needs completing though, I kept getting side tracked), it’s perfect for stash tracking as you can set it up to automatically calculate how many metres/yards you have based on specific g amounts.

I also have a spreadsheet where I track my daily stitches per project and have a monthly total for rounds and stitches. They serve no use, it’s just fun to see the numbers.

I’ll post photos of my new physical notebook in another post because this one’s gotten long and there’s going to be a lot of photos.

3 Likes

Hi! I do have a pattern notebook, I use an extra composition book I had around the house :blush: I only have one pattern in it though, but I taped a sample piece of the yarns I used onto the page and basically recorded everything like what yarn and brand(s) I used, also crochet hook/knitting needle size. I hope to use it more in the future! :blush:

2 Likes

I started setting my new notebook up, the pages are still in progress and will be filled up at some point but here’s the basic way I use mine. First off I’ll show you the actual notebook because I love it and think it’s great. It’s a Dingbats A5+ dot grid notebook from their Earth collection. Some of the money goes to the WWF and it’s made from recycled materials which is great! The pages are also pre-numbered and there’s an index at the start so I’ll use that to note down referance pages and patterns I want to find again.

Okay now onto the actual content.
I started off with a page for stores and a page for designers that I like. I made icons that I’ll check off if they apply to what I write down, The symbols on the Stores page are for; sewing related, crochet related, knitting related, on Etsy and if they’re a UK based store. The Designers page’s icons are; Ribblr, Ravelry, Etsy and other.

On the next page I have my pages for comparing crochet hook and needle size names as well as to track how many I own so I can easily see if I have any of a certain size needed. I’m still in the process of filling these in so they’re very much so incomplete.

The next pages are also comparison reference pages but for crochet terms (and symbols for charts) and a page for yarn weight comparisons (though I’m thinking about changing it into something else).

Next up there’s my fave yarns page, which has a space to mark if it’s a UK based brand, and then a page to write down my crochet plans.

Same thing on the next pages with knitting and sewing plans.

And lastly the first projects I’m transitioning into this notebook. Depending on the project I’ll either make some brief notes or straight up rewrite the pattern if it helps me understand it better (I’m dyslexic and struggle with how most patterns are worded along with the fonts used, so I rewrite them so I can understand what it says and not make mistakes from misreading).

Honestly the main thing I use it for are checking what the icons mean in a crochet chart if I get stuck or straight up writing out the pattern so I can easily take it with me away from screens. I don’t like being reliant on tech, plus it would be nice to be able to sit in the park with my notebook and yarn and just work away.

3 Likes

If you do decide to start a physical one, try and use a dot or square grid page, it makes things much easier then using plain or lined. I tried to use plain for mine but it made it too time consuming to draw out charts and things as well as making my writing very untidy. I’ve only just switched to the dot grid and it’s much quicker and simplier.

3 Likes

I use a sketchbook to draw out all of my design ideas and have recently started to add notes in there for the patterns I write or yarns to use for other patterns. It’s helpful for jotting down ideas as they come but not so much for organization so I might switch to something else.

2 Likes

I’m crazy paranoid about losing all my work (life lesson#??). I back up locally and to OneDrive & Carbonite. My DH thinks I’m crazy, but my notebooks also contain my stash & pattern libraries.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips and inspiration!!! And your notebook is so neat and organized :heart_eyes: i definitely want to see the finished product!

2 Likes

Great thread and amazing suggestions! :clap:

As many of you know we launched Ribblr journals a few months ago to keep track of specific patterns’ progress where you can add your notes, mood, and also WIP & FO photos and share it with friends.
For example: this is a public journal.

We have many exciting new features coming up with regards to journals and stash tracking but we’d love to get your feedback - would you like to see something along the lines of a general journal/notebook?
(Not linked to a specific pattern)

5 Likes

Yay, stash tracking! I really need this.

If it’s not public, or gives me the option of sharing or not. Then yes, I would love a general journal. Please.

4 Likes

This is probably just a me thing but I have separate notebooks/sketchbooks for grading math and pattern drafts (before I type them) and sketchbooks for drawing or doodling random design ideas I have. I have digital sketchbooks where I draw up cleaner/clearer versions of what’s in my physical sketchbooks and I also draw seaming schematics digitally so it’s easier to get them into my patterns. Both physical and digital notebooks and sketchbooks have their pros and cons which is why I like to use both :relaxed:

5 Likes

Yeah I use both because there’s advantages to both :slight_smile:
If I ever start designing or even when I’m experienced enough to be able to alter designs I’ll likely get a notebook specifically for that. Outside of crafting I use a different notebook for everything. It helps keep things organised :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would love to see one not tied to a ribblr v pattern.

1 Like

I use this one from a shop called plan calm from chaos. @ Etsy. On sale now for $4.06.

It has everything.
I use 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch brass fasteners to bind it, and use card stock paper for front and back pages.
You can expand it by getting longer brass fasteners.

1 Like