Does anyone know what i did wrong here?

For some reason my double crochets and half double crochets arent the same numbers each row now its slanted for a beginner beanie. Am I doing the second loop wrong when i turn oved to start a new row?

8 Likes

The most likely reason is the stitch count for each row is not consistent. For example, one row of 70 HDC, followed by another row of 70 DC.

Reasons why count can be off:
One didn’t count each row to ensure 70 thus repeating the mistake on subsequent rows.
One skipped over the first stitch or last stitch of the row because it can be difiicult to identify. One can correct this by placing stitch marker in the last stitch of the row.
One’s tension of the stitches is not yet consistent. This can be corrected with lots of practice.

Anything else folks?

13 Likes

Same as what @anoswaldoddity mentioned
Check stitch count and tension.
Did you use the same hook size? I’m asking because it’s easy to forget and you put a project down only to come back and grab the wrong hook later…. I’ve done that myself with a graphigan square of a portrait.

9 Likes

@anoswaldoddity and @CosmikEluminatedC bring some valid points another might be is when you chain one you’re single crocheting in that one instead of skipping that stitch (if it calls for that)

8 Likes

After blowing it up and looking at the edges, my guess is the start of your row.
This is an example:
DC in last chain on row, turn, Ch 2, dc across row. I think you are not counting your chain 2 as the first stitch. Not sure if it’s at the start or end of the row, but you are clearly adding stitches.
So if you work in the last stitch then chain any stitches at the start, you then skip to the second stitch in the row, after completing the row and coming back, you have to kind of tug on that loop you made by chaining after your turn on the prior row to find the top of the stitch so that it lines up with the edge.

9 Likes

The pattern said ch 1 and start but “instead of the first stitch where the current ch is skip to the second” I think this is where I mess up? I have difficulties looking for it maybe for 1 row i do x then the next i do like y and bam I made a halter top instead of a beanie aha … At the end of each row i go to the very end where i can still find a v stitch do I skip that one or do that one? I also thought it was just my tension being very uneven at first but I should probably count every row as others said :smiling_face_with_tear:

6 Likes

That might be it, once you finish the row I would use a stitch marker, or even scrap yarn or anything that you can mark that stitch (I use a keychain clip) and then chain one so when you turn it, you skip that chain 1 and just single crochet on the one you marked, just take it off and single crochet and continue that way

8 Likes

Yeah, when you get to the end and turn it should tell you to do something and that counts as first stitch… Probably at the start of the pattern… So you do that then skip to the second stitch. So like dc in last stitch, turn, chain2, DC in second stitch… Now, when you get back to that, you would dc in the top of the chain 2 from the beginning of the previous row. You can see the steps along the side for every stitch you added.

8 Likes

Ohh I understand what you mean thanks for all the replies they were really helpful and fast too

9 Likes

Are you chaining one and then turning?

4 Likes