Downloading patterns?

Sigh. I’m so disappointed to find this out. Had I known this, I would not have purchased any. If the app/company suddenly becomes unavailable or closes, I lose everything I purchased, which has already happened to me before with another app. I don’t think I will purchase any more patterns from here, although I love the concept of having interactive pattern progress keepers. I’m sure I can find another service that does that without the threat of losing what I thought was a purchase. Man, what a bummer.

I’m all for paying for patterns, and when I see a pattern I’d like to buy I look for the creator’s account on Etsy or Ravelry. I have a problem with paying here because you don’t get to “keep” the pattern. I know it’s in your library, but what if something happens to Ribblr? Then how do you access your patterns? Also I like to print the pattern, another aspect of my idea of keeping a pattern. In the beginning, people would send me the written pattern if I purchased it, but I understand that’s not really allowed. I find myself using Ribblr much less than I used to.

Does anyone else feel this way? Is there something I’m missing and you can print a pattern?

3 Likes

Yeah I would like to be able to print patterns too!

1 Like

I can definitely understand that sentiment. Designer’s have the option of generating their pattern into a pdf/adding a pdf of their pattern to the pattern as well perhaps you can ask if the designer is willing to add that/give it to you?

2 Likes

Patterns are fully interactive and digital. The mission of Ribblr is to make crafting accessible - user and eco friendly. So all the unique tools such as progress tracking, video tutorials, smart sizing, language translation, measuring unit conversion, and so much more simply cannot be made possible without Ribblr ePattern. Similar to any other digital service.

Designers can generate a PDF if they need to, and they can provide it within their patterns on Ribblr but it is their choice.

Here on Ribblr we also have $elFee which allows designers to reduce or even eliminate their sale fees.
With all that in mind, if you don’t find value in all the interactive & accessibility tools and prefer printing the best thing to do is buy directly from the designer’s website if they have one, so they can retain more of their earnings.

2 Likes

This is my first time using Ribblr and I’m not sure I like that I can not download my pattern. A PDF dose not have to be printed. I prefer to download the file and digitally keep it on my phone. This is probably my first and last time buying here. When I buy a pattern I like that guarantee it’s mine. I’m not always in a place to be online when I crochet.