First time machine sewing!

This coming year im planning on getting into sewing my own garments on a machine, but i dont know where to start!!!
Any advice??

12 Likes

I have a sewing machine and I have not used it in a year :skull: it jams and is SO annoying. Don’t be like me, watch youtube tutorials :bangbang:

4 Likes

YouTube js definitely a great place. I also know some craft stores offer beginner classes for sewing so if that is more your style you may want to check that!

4 Likes

We have a sewing machine, but I have never used it before. I saw a video where someone had to go to the hospital and it scared me, but I have always wanted to make my own dress!

3 Likes

oo yay! I love using the sewing machine! its so fun once you get a hang of it :))
i would suggest just going slow, you may think you got a hang of it, go too fast, and then you ruin your stitches. oof, it happened so many times when I was learning!
Also, you can just practice on a scrap peice of fabric, it really helps!
goodluck! <3

4 Likes

Whenever I was learning sewing machines I got started doing simple squares for quilts. Just straight lines usually, and can use scrap fabric since the squares are small. Once your done you can sew them all together to make a piece showing your first works and improvement! Doesn’t have to end up in a whole quilt.

3 Likes

When I first saw the post I have to admit, I read it as " First “Time Machine” Sewing" lol

3 Likes

its not super hard. check out some basic youtube videos. maybe find a super simple free pattern to practice on.

1 Like

Start with a square pillow sorry it’s late :skull::skull:

1 Like