Gaps In Stitches

when i decrease at the end of a project, i see multiple stitches that have gaps and you can see the stuffing. any tips?

7 Likes

make sure you stuff lightly so that the gaps don’t appear. Hate to break the news but if you want to get rid of them you have to redo the whole thing and make sure you join each round. Hope that helps!?
edit: I changed the topic to support and specified the title and added 4 tags

4 Likes

i noticed that if i had really tight tension or the wrong hook size it would do this to me, but to get rid of it you have to start over.

4 Likes

I had this same problem.

1. First of all do an invisible decrease like this: go through front loops for the next 2 stitches yarn over pull through the front loops, yarn over and pull through two.
  2. Try to go down a hook size. Before with worsted weight yarn I used a 4.5 and now use a 4.

This should help.

12 Likes

thank you! i wove the tail end in through the gaps so it’s not as noticeable

5 Likes

thank you!

4 Likes

Definitely go down a hook size. If the yarn suggests a certain size hook, use one size less. And crochet through the front loops! Such a better result! Makes your projects look more clean :slight_smile: let me know if you need anymore help!

10 Likes

thank you so much!!

4 Likes

Just another tip, at the end of your project if you want to skip the last row of decreases. You can tread your needle and go into the front loops all the way around until you get back around. Then pull! I have never closed my amigurumi any other way now

5 Likes

You’re welcome

1 Like

This used to happen to me too!!! The way I fixed it was going down a hook size. I use a 5mm on that same yarn. Another way I fixed it was making all my decreases extra tight, mainly the loop on your hook after you pull through. That’s the loop I discovered was making the holes, so now every time I make a decrease, I pull that last loop on my hook tight before making the next stitch. I hope this helps!!!

3 Likes

Work an invisible at will help fill in the gap.

3 Likes

That’s what I was going to suggest, glad you figured it out so you don’t have to start over.

2 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Do you understand how to decrease the way I said? Or should I post a clip later?
@juneaswad

I sometimes downsize my hook, invisible decrease and SUPERRR tight tension does the trick for me

2 Likes

Do a yarn under vs yarn over when doing the stitches if that makes sense

2 Likes

Also if you’re using the invisible decrease through the front loops only, that can leave a larger hole unless you work tightly as mentioned above. I use a traditional dec sometimes to make a dec look more solid.

1 Like

I always yarn under when i do amigurumi. Even if its just at the end with Decreases, it helps the yarn be tighter. I alway use an invisible decrease too, which also helps.

2 Likes