gauge. Gauge! GAUGE!!

The importance of gauge in garments can not be overestimated.
Let me regale you with the short but tragic tale of my vacation sweater that has to be done next week so I can wear it. Not only is it more unmanageable than my swatches indicated when I developed the pattern. But my 54 inch bust is actually 70 inches (I would have caught that sooner had it not been on circular needles… and had I done the fitting off needles at the separation like I know I’m supposed to do) So, where did it go wrong?
Improper gauge swatch.
Simply put, I did my gauge swatch on bamboo double point needles but decided to work my sweater on steel circulars. And I did not do another swatch.
Yes, even Granny falls into bad habits under pressure.
So here is my list of good swatching habits that would have led to success, had I followed them.

1. your swatch needs to be on the same hook/needles you will be using. The same, not just the same size or similar. The exact one.
  2. your swatch needs to be at least 4 times larger than the section you are measuring. Your edges will not be the same size as your internal stitches, you will also relax as you work so your finishing rows/rounds will be looser than your beginning ones
  3. if your pattern states that your gauge is “in patt” or “in pattern” the above rules still apply. You will do at least 4 repeats of said pattern at least 4 times
17 Likes