Have you ever made your own yarn?

I’ve been wanting to give it a try. Has anyone done it before or am I just crazy to want to try this?

8 Likes

I don’t, one of my brother’s friend’s mom does so I might learn from her - I’m totally interested!

7 Likes

That’s cool, have they shown you any they made? I’m wondering how it comes out and if it’s different (softer/coarser) then the machine made stuff at the store.

7 Likes

I’ve definitely seen one she was working on, some years ago (definitely before covid) when our families were at some event and we were waiting for the my brother and his friend who were off doing something. While waiting she took out her drop spindle out of her bag and even let me try a little! To your wondering, I think it really depends on the fibre you’re using.

7 Likes

I have the items to spin but haven’t got brave enough to try yet. I have a big bag of raw fleece from a big old rescue sheep I helped shear and I’d love to get round to making him into yarn and then a little sheep to keep.

6 Likes

Awe that would be so sweet!

6 Likes

I’ll hopefully get brave, seems fun :blush:

5 Likes

You should! :relaxed::pray:

4 Likes

I’m a spinner, there’s a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it’s fun and peaceful. go to the magnifying glass on the top left of the screen and type in the search bar Tour de Fleece I have a post of some spinning I did and what I am still working on.

4 Likes

Once you start you wont stop! I started spinning and weaving this yearto add to my crochet, knitting and sewing and I am totally addicted!

4 Likes

It is not as uniform as what stores have and as for fluff rating or “next-to-skin” feel homespun will usually e a bit fluffier, but it does depend on the fibre you"re spinning. I did an alpaca/merino/silk blend last weekend that feels amazing and i think would work with knitting and the weekend before i did a merino (19 micron) spin which is also soft but not as soft as alpaca and i think would make a great crochet winter hat. The trick with spinning your own fibre is yardage! The alpaca spin once 2 plied ended up only being 150m so I’m going to have to blend up some more fibre to spin before i can make a project.

5 Likes