Have you heard the WAK drama?

There is a very popular yarn brand/ knitting subscription box company called We Are Knitters that partnered with Zara which is a fast fashion brand that is known for stealing small businesses designs. A lot of the fiber arts community is boycotting the WAK brand. What do you think of this? I’m open to hearing any opinion about this situation.

12 Likes

Well, I believe that it happens, probably more than we realize.
Always give consideration to the voice that cries out alone for justice.

9 Likes

Yes totally!

8 Likes

R7f22861abf7ae8023cec37853f5fd6a6

8 Likes

Definitely a sad but true reality playing out in all entrepreneurial areas today.

7 Likes

A total loss of integrity.

Check this out:

That’s about $65 USD. Let’s break it down: assuming that’s their Pima Cotton - $10 for the yarn, I’ll be generous and say $5 for the hook and $10 for the packaging and yarn needle. I sell phone bag patterns for $4.00, so assuming that’s a fair price - That’s $36 that they’re making in profit off of this, when you consider overhead and labor as part of the price of each individual piece (since I used retail price estimates).

So they’re making about 55% of the sale price in pure profit, while supporting slave labor and theft from artists. And they call it a crochet needle, which immediately makes me twitch.

Not to mention the negative impact this can have on teaching new crocheters, who may be interested in learning, but see this and assume that it’s too expensive to learn.

(Plus I might be biased, but my bags are cuter and more functional since they also have pockets and can be customized to fit any phone.)

10 Likes

Too bad I can’t put a heart there with a million exclamation points by it!!

8 Likes

286e00f34dd49cc02d58696b37fa1cdb--irene-ryan-ryan-oneal

6 Likes

My grandparents watch all of those shows. I can’t tell if that lady is from Beverly hillbillies or Andy Griffith

7 Likes

Beverly Hillbillies!!

7 Likes

The Hill Billies…
When I was younger, I was considered pretty.
Now, even I realize I look just like Granny.

7 Likes

My grandpa’s favorite is Andy Griffith!

7 Likes

You and me both!!

7 Likes

8 Likes

OMG I LOVE IT!!

7 Likes

Agreed with all above. Not great we are knitters… thanks for bringing this to my attn.

7 Likes