Help with Plush/Velvet Yarn

Hii, Iā€™m relatively new at crochet and Iā€™ve only used 5.0 acrylic yarn, but I want to start using plush/velvet yarn to make amigurumi. Can someone please give me tips and tell me what to buy (what yarn is best for a beginner/which tapestry needles)? Thank you soo much :))

7 Likes

For beginning, so not to waste money while youā€™re learning-assuming you live in US- go to Dollar Tree and get the Chenille by Premier. Itā€™s like 1.25 each skein. If you donā€™t see it, go there when itā€™s not busy, and ask manager to look in the back.

Youā€™ll learn how much tension you can use before the yarn snaps, how slippery it is, how to stitch with it and still find your stitches, and so on.

HOWEVER, using what we call the ā€˜noveltyā€ yarns is NOT recommended for those new to crochet. If you want to go ahead and do it you may end up being extremely frustrated or youā€™ll get stubborn and persist.
You should know how to identify parts of stitches, count stitches accurately, stitch in the round, magic ring, how to turn to the next row, keep tension even on your stitches, use stitch markers, how to increase and decrease stitches, and probably some others I canā€™t think of right now.
I didnā€™t attempt amigurumi until I had about 13+ plus years of experience. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t start with plushies, itā€™s easy now because I had a good foundation.

9 Likes

Great suggestions for newbies

7 Likes

Thank you so much for your suggestions! This was very helpful and I will definitely use your advice. :heart_hands:

6 Likes

Like anoswaldoddity said itā€™ll be best to start with cheaper chenille/velvet/plush yarn to get used to it, although I do love the dollar tree brand chenille yarn. As for the tapestry needed I would suggest one with a big eye to put the yarn in (they tend to also be thicker which is could since the yarn itself is thick) also they do shed a lot, thatā€™s normal

I would definitely have a stitch marker handy, whether itā€™s an actual one, scrap yarn or just a makeshift yarn, whatever can help you keep track of the rounds.

I would get the basics down to understand, but I started out with amigurumi and searched the terms I didnā€™t know and learned fine. Crochet level and experience arenā€™t the same, (if youā€™re curious feel search the universal crochet levels and see what one would know what to do to find out yours)

Itā€™s all about having fun, getting experience, and experimening, so donā€™t worry if you mess up you can always frog it :smile:

9 Likes

Hehe, thank you so much. I started a few months ago, also with amigurumi but I used acrylic yarn since that was wayyy cheaper. I wanted some advice before spending money, so thank you :blush::blush:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been crocheting for nearly a year now and for the first 10 months I just couldnā€™t fathom how to use stitch markers! I would definitely recommend watching a video on how to use them maybe?

5 Likes

I donā€™t even have real stitch markers LOL. Iā€™ve been using bobby pins but Iā€™m most likely using them wrong :sob:. Iā€™ll for sure watch a video, thanks for your help !!

5 Likes
4 Likes

Whenever using plush/velvet yarn I would defo recommend the chain 2 method so your yarn doesnā€™t shed. When u start doing amigurumi I would recommend using acrylic/dk yarn for a while until you feel comfortable with sewing or amigurumi in general. Then I would recommend using blanket yarn and moving onto chenille yarn. Iā€™ve been doing amigurumi for a year+ but I still get scared of using chenille yarn cause it can shed like crazy :joy: :joy:.

Hope this helps. Happy crocheting :smiling_face:

4 Likes