Help!

Hello! Does anyone have any tips for color changing in amigurumi while using velvet yarn? I do the usual way for changing color but one side always comes out looking better than the other. See pic! The left looks like a nice increase for a belly but then the right side you can still see the first color. Any tips for how you change color w velvet yarn would be appreciated :heart::heart::heart:

8 Likes

What’s the usual way that you change colors?

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing
Do you finish by adding the new color before actually finishing the stitch of the old color? Or do you completely finish the stitch with the old color and then just slip stitch on the new?

6 Likes

From the looks of it though, you might have changed colors either too late or too early, it depends on the direction you were going, if you were using the white yarn and then switched to the next color you did it too early, if you were using the other color and going onto white them you changed colors too late.

I think a good tip would be to always check back on the row you did and if there’s a mistake, you can redo that part.

If you’re looking to fix this right now since so much is done it might be overwhelming/tedious to redo it all, so maybe use a needle and cover the color with the white (if that’s too hard too understand I can always get a little more detailed :smile: hope I helped somehow )

5 Likes
5 Likes

Hi! It looks like you’re traveling the yarn when you switched to the white? Is that correct?
I think you might’ve switched colors a little late, maybe try doing it a stitch or two earlier. Wondering, what are your techniques for traveling yarn and switching colors? There are multiple ways to do these things, so I might be able to be more of a help if you know/say what techniques you’re using :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Hi all!

I switched the color by adding the new color before actually finishing the stitch of the old color.

So I would have two loops of orange on my hook and then I’d add the white to finish the stitch if that makes sense.

5 Likes

Ahhh ok I will give this a try tonight and see if this works!! Thank you!

3 Likes

No problem, glad to be of help!

4 Likes

I honestly don’t know what you did wrong. The way do a color change is…
The stitch before the color change finish it by pulling the second color thru, tie it to the old color and then continue on.
That hopefully helped, idk it was probably confusing

3 Likes

Ok! That’s what I would suggest. Are you carrying your orange yarn through the white stitches (e.g. are you crocheting/stitching with the white over the orange yarn?)

3 Likes

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your suggestions! It really helped me figure out what I was doing wrong. I was traveling w the orange color and also pulling the yarn too tight on the color change. It’s still a little wonky but slowly getting there/better than where I was before. Really appreciate the help :two_hearts:

8 Likes

Yay! That looks SO much better!

4 Likes

Yay! It’s looking more clean, and it’s super cute!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Looks great! Good job!

4 Likes