how do i design and crochet a pattern i make?

i made a design draft (im happy with it) and i have the supplies i dont know how to crochet the final project and get it tested can anyone help?
IMG_20230316_150658

6 Likes

the unpopular answer will be that if turning your drawing into a pattern is confusing, then you are not ready to write patterns.
Keep working at it, keep making those shapes, keep taking notes, and keep practicing until it all makes sense then writing a pattern for it will be easier

6 Likes

thx i just watched a tutorial rn to help me i understand a bit more thx for your help!

2 Likes

just remember that it isn’t enough to write down what you did… someone you have never met needs to be able to read it and follow it and get the same results. Far too many patterns out there do not do this.

4 Likes

yeah its just a draft and i will redo it if i see any problems, i did not do the actual process yet i just have the drawing for ref and i will turn this into a better version once i finished drafting and sketching

4 Likes

You need to crochet it according to your directions on how to crochet it. Writing down each step as if you were telling it to a baby,
Many fiber artists crochet/knit and realize that daily practice is needed.
The same with writing patterns.
This is not directed to you but the crochet world has enough patterns written by people who think they know how to write a pattern but is poorly written.
Think of it this way, just because you have a degree in math, geometry, calculus, trigonometry does not mean you know how to teach the subject to another in a way they can understand. I’m sure you have had a teacher like that at some point.

You just hit on a hot button/topic. That’s all.

4 Likes

Try looking at how people create similar shapes of a pattern then try to edit it to your perfect shape, I’m sure searching up on YouTube could help

3 Likes

Basic-Amigurumi-Shapes-Cheat-Sheet.pdf (62.6 KB)

This is something you may find helpful when you are ready.

3 Likes

This is actually incredibly well put, and helpful.

3 Likes

What helped me in writing my own patterns was to follow many written patterns and see how they were written and how they made sense. Going off of published books is better than some patterns online since anyone can make a pattern and post it online, and they aren’t always checked.

Fun books:
Whimsical Stitches by Lauren Espy
Unicorns and Dragons and More Fantasy Amigurumi
Pika Pau Animal Friends by Yan Schenel

These are just some of my favorites, there’s lots of great books out there!

2 Likes

All of above are very good books I agree. Have them all.

2 Likes