how do y’all wash your amigurumi?

hi! soooo, my mom suggested i start selling some of my makes in the gift shop of the hospital that she works at (since it’s allowed and markets almost never happen near me), and i want to make sure that i know how to clean them correctly before i set up shop

do you guys have any tips? I’m mostly going to be using blanket yarn (probably bernat to start off). should i just follow the wash instructions on the yarn or do i need to do smth else? thanks so much!! :DD

15 Likes

I don’t wash mine…I didn’t know we were supposed to :sweat_smile: :grimacing:

5 Likes

I’ve mostly been using cotton yarn so far and I just sort of yeet them into the washing machine in a mesh bag and then tumble dry them either on low or air dry or hang them out on the line in the sun for awhile

5 Likes

Most people don’t.
I only wash mine if im making something for a baby and it’s a yarn that I’ve used before
I do wash some of the wearables I sell tho

5 Likes

I didn’t know you could wash yarn! But what about the stuffing. Is that okay?

4 Likes

Idk ppl wash them

3 Likes

I mean in general I feel like it’s probably better not to because the stuffing can cling to moisture and all so you have to really be on top of making sure they dry, but like. If you spill something on them, sometimes you gotta. Different yarns need to be washed in different ways, some are machine safe and others aren’t, most will tell you on the label somewhere near the size of the yarn and recommended needles!

4 Likes

I tried/experimented with washing and I don’t recommend washing them cuz the eyes fell out of the plushies even with glue and backings.
So, I just say to spot clean the plushies on the tags!!

3 Likes

Oh no… this makes me sound super unhygienic…:skull::joy:
I don’t wash my amigurumi cause I don’t gift them or anything, I make amigurumi for decoration and they just sit on my table or shelf… I do take the dust off, but- :shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face:

I would google what yarns can be put in the wash.
Also, I don’t know if this is true (I’m just assuming), but, probably don’t make the washing machine’s water hot or use the dryer. It might shrink. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

thank you for all of the help!! i usually don’t wash mine either but wanted to see if there way a way to (since these are going to be in a hospital)
i think i’m just going to try to keep my workspace as clean as i can while i crochet and spot clean later on if necessary :grin::grin:

2 Likes

I think a disinfectant spray for fabrics would do the trick! That’s very nice of you to think of this when you’re selling in a hospital.

I like the Lysol brand spray but they also have ones that have a scent in them. As long as it’s safe for fabrics, it shouldn’t affect the yarn! :yellow_heart:

1 Like

I agree, i think a disinfect would probably be your best option here

2 Likes

i didnt know people washed them :joy: i dont because i always feel like theyd be too hard to dry, and would get moldy :grimacing: if it does get dirty, i’d just spot clean or lysol it

1 Like