How do you keep track of rounds when working from a site?

So I really wanna make this pattern Crochet Fanatic: NOIVERN

But I’m a bit stressed about tracking my rows, like usually when I work from a pdf or site, I need to check so many times to make sure I’m keeping track of it and trying to remember

But then it takes me like 3 times as long to finish my projects and it’s very exhausting and frustrating, I usually just avoid it but couldn’t find the pattern (or something similar) here

So I was looking for some tips on how to easily keep track of your progress?

I usually have the site open on my phone when working

I’ll tried regular row counter things that you just have to press a button, but I don’t fully trust those since they keep on going on standby mode and I don’t really notice that (like you’d have to press to turn it on and then press to add a row, I would accidentally only turn it on and not track row)

Also I get distracted super easily, so that’s why it’s a bit difficult to try keep focus on row count while working

I mean I could count my rows again and again and again in the middle of working, but that gets frustrating to do every 2-3 rows :sweat_smile:

So yeah any tips are helpful

12 Likes

Sorry for the longggg message, I tend to write lots because I always wanna add more info/details or get distracted :joy:

7 Likes

I put a stitch marker around the front of the last stitch of a row, then I can just count the rows above that

7 Likes

i’m not sure, but good luck with it!

6 Likes

If its a website, I think you can use one of those chrome extension that allows you to highlight or doodle on the site. Hope it helps! :sweat_smile: and good luck with your project!

9 Likes

What? Cool. I’m checking that one out myself.

7 Likes

I put a stitch marker every 10 rows, if it’s a lot. 5 might work for you. That would give you more of a visual to see how far you are.

11 Likes

Screen shot each section and use your photo editor to mark it off

7 Likes

I know the frustration, and I also will seek a pattern on ribblr before going elsewhere. It is definitely my preferred method of following patterns. :relaxed:The above are all great suggestions, and I have employed those various strategies with great success (particularly, the screenshot and cross off, as well as the multiple stitch markers).

long response here

Idk if it will help with this particular pattern, but another way I was able to get pdf/screenshot patterns to work for me & my brain was to use a phone app designated for the purpose of counting rows/keeping track (with highlighting, for instance). ^.^

I also have used my phone’s memo/note pad to make a numbered list with squares I can easily check off, like so:

Best of luck whichever method you go with, friend!

7 Likes

Idk if you would find it helpful or not, but I ordered a box of stitch markers off Amazon (I think it has like 150 stitch markers in this little tackle box). I put a stitch marker at the end of every row, and I switch colors every 10 rows (you could switch every 5 to leave you even less counting)

9 Likes

As simple and outdated as it might be, i just put tally marks on paper :rofl:

9 Likes

I did this just recently myself! :sweat_smile:

Teamtallymark :rofl:

I actually find it helps tremendously when I really need to visualize a stitch/stitch pattern as I can sort of cluster the stitches accordingly.

6 Likes

You could get a manual row counter instead of a digital one. You can lock them in place unlike the digital ones. Also use a stitch marker so you know where your rounds end and begin. Hope this helps! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

That’s an idea I never heard of, that is so VISUAL, I could use it!!

5 Likes

When knitting you will have x number of decreases/increases every x number of rows for x number of times, the locking stitch markers along the side are how I keep track and match the shaping on the second sleeve

5 Likes

That’s a good idea!

3 Likes

I had a notebook for crochet stuff that I used to count rows using tally marks. Not sure how helpful this is for you but it worked for me. I also stitch mark the start of repeating rows so i onlybhave to count from the repeats if i get lost.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot everyone :purple_heart: I’ll definitely check out the things mentioned and will see which works best for me

4 Likes

The way I do it is I scroll steps out of the screen as I go. But then you have to remember not to scroll up until the end.

6 Likes

Hello there, I feel your pain haha :joy:
When I started crocheting, that was also my big flaw! I would normally lose count of the row where I was and the stitches and I would get stressed about it. But now I use a stitch marker in the begging of every single row and when I’m following a pattern from a site, I always have a piece of paper and a pen by my side so I can write down the number of rows I’ve completed :wink:

I hope my tip helps you :blush:
Have a nice day and have fun crocheting :yarn:

5 Likes