How do you roll? Or do you?

You purchase or are given a skein of yarn. What’s next? Do you just begin your project, throw caution to the wind and hope you will not meet up with a snag, or worse a real bad knot smack dab in the middle of your project? I am a roller, after learning my lesson about the knots. I take the time and due diligence, and roll that bad boy into a nice ball. :yarn:

8 Likes

I jump right in!

7 Likes

I can’t even say that I am a roller cuz I usually don’t start my project with a rolled ball of yarn but I’m very indecisive so I always end up rolling it because I always end up unraveling my projects and start them over several times before I actually like what I’m doing so yeah when i do that I always jus end up rolling my yarn in a ball but I don’t know if I like having a ball without a yarn bowl because they are harder to keep in one place so if I roll I always use a bowl

8 Likes

No I redo the knots as I go if they’re not secure.

8 Likes

It has to do with the yarn for me! Sometimes I leave as is, other times I roll it into a ball.

6 Likes

If it’s new and not a hank, I roll with it. If it’s old and a hank, I don’t use it!!! LOL! I hate rolling yarn into balls.

5 Likes

It is rather consuming of time, but have you ever found a jumbled mess inside the skein? Ugh!

5 Likes

You’ve never found a tangled mess? Lucky you!

5 Likes

@anon51435716
Sometimes I’ve found a jumbled mess. I might take time to unravel it but if at anytime I start to get irritated with it I CUT IT OFF and throw it away.
I value my sanity over a few yards of yarn.

4 Likes

Inexpensive small plastic bins are your friend!
:smiley::two_hearts:

5 Likes

I work as I go, cutting knots for later weaving, untangling as I go.

I use all the yarn, old new, scraps, cakes, balls, hangs.

I even knot together small ends, roll them in a ball and am currently knitting either a Cardigan or an Afghan, not sure yet :joy:

I’m also collecting the tiny ends for carding and spinning (wayyy in the future)

5 Likes

I usually leave it as is, pulling from the middle. If I need to, I use a yarn winder and make a cake. If not, and I make a ball, I put it in a large pitcher, to hold it so it doesn’t roll away. :yarn:

2 Likes