How do you store your yarn and crochet/knitting supplies?

Hey! I’m curious as to how everyone stores their yarn and supplies?? I know if you’re anything like me you can’t help yourself from buying yarn - even if you don’t need it and I’m in need of some creative solutions for storage - I currently have read out clothes from a section of my wardrobe in which i have stored wool in plastic bags that are colour coded so i can easily find yarn i need but I also have random baskets and bags etc. filling the corners of my room overflowing with yarn! I would love to have this all a bit more organised if anyone has any tips and storage solutions!!

8 Likes

I purchase yarn when I need it for a project, so I never have more than I need or can use in a reasonable time. I actually have more thread than yarn, and I keep it in my Tinker Basket, which is an Amish made wicker basket.

9 Likes

I have large clear plastic tubs filled with different colors, and or types of yarn. They are in my basement because I have so many. I have smaller clear tubs up here with the yarn from projects, almost one of each color. Time to send some back down, I’m overflowing.

8 Likes

My yarn is all on wooden shelves I had my hubby make me. Anything wool I keep in closed containers. I do see lots use those cube laminiated shelves /cubes or plastic tubs. For finished item storage I use plastic zip up storage that bedding comes in that way I can see what it have in stock.
My shelves are made mostly from plywood and aprox 6 ft high and 3 ft wide. Based on the space I have in my basement.
The idea to be able to utilize my yarn storage shelving as a backdrop for my display photos when I post a new make. Here’s an example

10 Likes

That’s so beautiful!! :star_struck: @CosmikEluminatedC

6 Likes

@crochetwithbecca I use my shelf with bins for all of my yarn, and the extra goes into other bags/baskets I have :grin:

5 Likes

@crochetwithbecca, I store my yarn in a bin, my hooks in a bag, my snips and other stuff in a different bag, my straight needles/dpns in a metal bin, and my circs in a plastic bin.

5 Likes

Right now I sort my yarn by weight and type in bags then put the bags in a big cardboard box. So not the best situation but I do want a bookshelf to stack the yarn in so I can see all my options without having to unpack everything :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I uhhh… do boxes, bags, a bed, my car, my boyfriend’s car, and a giant Love Sac bean bag count as storage?

I want the aesthetic shelves but here I am.

9 Likes

I use an old laundry hamper, but that can get messy for finding the yarn you want. I also found a shoe cubby on amazon that hangs in your closet and it worked great. It wasn’t too expensive either

5 Likes

I was just starting to move all my stuff into my now empty spare room, so It’s better organized now and the boxes on top are covered in fabric… My yarn goes in the hutch, anything left over after a project goes in a box on top according to type/weight
My hooks and needles are stored on a side table in old vases and kitchen canisters (you can see one in the picture)
The accessories and tools are in an antique sewing box
Wips are hanging in bags on a coat rack behind the door.
And yes, that is my complete knitting/crochet/sewing book collection

5 Likes

That’s so neat and organized!! :star_struck: I totally love it, and your cabinets/shelves are so pretty!! @grannyroomcrafts

4 Likes

Thank you, my husband was thrilled to finally have all my antiques in one room, even if he wasn’t happy about moving them lol!

5 Likes

That is a beautiful vintage looking dresser​:heart::yarn:

6 Likes

This is what they look like now

7 Likes

Oh, and for any of you using plastic bins and such, put drawer knobs on them… Game changer!

5 Likes

If I could talk my husband into it… And find a place to put it… That basket will haunt my dreams now
@anon51435716

6 Likes

I feel you! I’m on the same boat lol, don’t have any space for pretty bookshelves unfortunately but I love seeing everyone’s organisation!!!

4 Likes

Here’s a better photo

10 Likes

So jealous! This is a dream system!!!

4 Likes