How to deal with twisted yarn?

Hello fellow crafters!

I’ve always struggled with twisted yarn on my knitting and crochet projects. The twist gets worse and worse as I pull the yarn from the skein. Do you have any tips on how to avoid this?

Please share them in the comments! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I’m not sure I ever noticed that. But, I usually keep my skein in a large pitcher, or oatmeal box on the floor beside my chair. Maybe that helps.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this tip, I’ll give it a try :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

As much as I love pulling from the middle of the skein I always find it twists more than when I use the outside pull!

4 Likes

one thing that I have noticed that has helped me from this happening to me so much is that I took it out of its skein and caked up with my ball winder. It still happens from time to time but that is my own fault because I am twisting my yarn when I am putting it on my hook or needle. But it does happen less often when I cake my yarn up.

3 Likes

I also thought this might be a reason but I was reluctant to realise it because it is so much easier to pull from the inside :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks for your tip! I’ll look to get myself a winder :hugs:

2 Likes

I always center pull. And I recommend you pay a bit more for a Stanwood winder. :slight_smile: I use mine all the time. Lately, I center pull first, then wind it when it starts to collapse on itself.

3 Likes

Never thought of this. Great idea.

4 Likes

Let your yarn hang down from your “needle” and let it
“unwind” every so often. I noticed this too when thread would get twisted when i used to cross stitch.
Sometimes if it’s wound up too much and it’s starting to tangle, I’ll cut it and weave it back in mindful to let the yarn “unwind”.

3 Likes